NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Buy large - Collimate - Find Saturn - Be speechless!

Worried that the fish tail effect I've been seeing on everything I've looked at since buying the (used) 10" newt, shouldn't be there, I decided to splash out £25 on a Cheshire Collimator.

I'd read the horror stories and these were multiplied by the great guy at Stockport Binos who sold me the collimator - "Be patient and take a break if it all goes awry! If you can't get it right, bring the scope in on Monday and I'll have a look for you".

I was ready for it all to go horribly wrong.

But it didn't.

The scope seemed aligned correctly within about 10 minutes. But hazy skies meant I couln't check it till tonight.

Target Saturn..The perfect test because the fish tail effect was exacerbated prior to c'mation, on this one.

I'm not joking, the difference was utterly breathtaking.

Crystal sharp, with both ends of the rings perfectly displayed.

I was literally awestruck.

Speechless.

I was using a 10mm ep and the planet seemed huge. What would a good quality 6 or 7mm do? I could see the planet's bands and the shadow caused by the rings. The gap between the planet and the rings seemed massive.

3 moons were visible and I think I even got the odd glimpse of the Cassini division in the rings themselves.

I legged it into the house to find someone, anyone, to share it with.

My wife was as blown away as I was.

So my advice to fellow newbs is this....(Having just read Astrobaby's brilliant missive)...

Buy a scope with as large an aperture as you can afford..

Read as much as you can about how to navigate around the sky.

Buy a Cheshire and collimate it yourself - ignore the hype about how difficult it is.

Find Saturn!

Unbelievable.

Interestingly, there was some very high cloud around that night - I was wondering whether it had an effect on the seeing which was the best I've known?

There was no shimmering movement in the air passing over the image - could the cloud act like a planetary filter?

Or maybe it was just the collimation and I can expect to see it that well every time I take it out?

I can't wait to find out...

By the way, thanks for the very kind comments.

Wolfytom,

That was a great and reassuring report, and just what i wanted to read, thanks.

Can I ask you which 10" newt you bought? I'm just behind you I guess in terms of deciding on a larger telescope. I'm enjoying my first little refractor, learning the skies, taking my time etc etc.

I know I'd like a larger Newt but undecided on Dobsonian or mounted route. Oh, I could ask so many questions!!

:D

hi Tom

you are quite right that often the most steady air (best seeing) comes with a fine high cloud. this is double star and planet time! when the sky is crystal clear (i.e. best transparency) the seeing is often woeful and then it's low power galaxy time (unless the moon's up of course, then it's moon time!).

Wolfytom,

That was a great and reassuring report, and just what i wanted to read, thanks.

Can I ask you which 10" newt you bought? I'm just behind you I guess in terms of deciding on a larger telescope. I'm enjoying my first little refractor, learning the skies, taking my time etc etc.

I know I'd like a larger Newt but undecided on Dobsonian or mounted route. Oh, I could ask so many questions!!

:)

I'm glad I was able to reassure you, Timbo. There's nothing to be frightened of with collimation - even when you adjust the secondary and EVERTHING disappears from view!

I bought a used Orion Optics GTX 250 (made in Crewe). It's 11 years old (I found that out when the previous owner posted about how much better his new one is!:D) but I haven't seen through anything else and so have nothing to compare it to.

I'm perfectly happy with its performance so far.

I considered a Dob but opted for a Newt on an eq5 with motor drives and I'm really happy I did. You wouldn't believe how quickly Saturn zooms across your view when the motors are off! It needs readjusting every minute at least. The drives make it a much more enjoyable experience.

You're in the right place for all those questions - ask as many as you like because someone here will be able to help.

It's a fantastic forum.

hi Tom

you are quite right that often the most steady air (best seeing) comes with a fine high cloud. this is double star and planet time! when the sky is crystal clear (i.e. best transparency) the seeing is often woeful and then it's low power galaxy time (unless the moon's up of course, then it's moon time!).

Thanks Moonshane.

As soon as I get over my fixation with Saturn, I'll turn towards those DSOs.

I've been waiting to see M13 but it hides behind a streetlamp until silly o'clock! I'm asking for an airgun for Christmas...

Archived