NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My 1st scope. Did I goof up?

I was going to pay a few grand for a new scope but being a complete novice, decided it wouldn't be my best choice.

I ended up buying a Twinstar iOptron GPS "Goto" 6" telescope that I found on Ebay ( mistake #1)?

After doing more research on the internet, some people really dogged out that scope while others stuck up for it. I have not had the chance to use it yet do to my work hours but planning to tonight. If conditions allow.

Does anyone have any helpful information on this scope or did I totally blow it on this one?

I have absolutely no experience of this particular telescope and mount at all and there is really only one way to find out how good it is and that is by pointing it at the night sky and trying it out!

The focal length of 1400mm is quite long and looking at the tube length it has to have been achieved by the inclusion of what is known as a 'relay' lens. This is not an ideal situation but this telescope is not alone in using this system - I used to have a Meade 4.5" telescope that used the same system.

Have fun on your first few nights out there and let us know how you get on.

Welcome to SGL!

Hi

Must admit I've never heard of it either.

I shouldn't worry too much the first scope I bought was a Tasco (not a name you associate with quality:D).

People say all sorts about em and none of it good, but it did me ok for a couple of years.

I wouldn't have thought you could have bought worse than I did.

Enjoyment is the main thing I knew I bought a dud but it didn't stop me from enjoying the sky.

Good luck with ya new toy.

Steve

I have no experience of your scope so can't really comment if its any good. I suppose people stick to the main manufacturers partly because they have a track record in performance, durability and quality control. Perhaps also because they are better known, they are able to hold better residual value should they want to resell to upgrade. It might be simply because people don't really know what they are buying and just plump for familiarity and that 'other' scopes become an understated secret for those in the know. Price is probably an indicator of what you might be getting, as you are not realistically going to get £2,000 pounds worth of known scope, goto etc for £500 under a different name. All scope manufacturers had to start somewhere and at some point in their history they were considered the new kids on the block and had to build a reputation and your scope setup might well be one of them. iOptron are a known manufacturer and have recently brought out a new mount that has got lots of people excited but early reports suggest that the specifications such as load capacity and mount accuracy might have been over egged a touch but that the mount in its self is not bad at all. So this manufacturer clearly has ambitions of being a big player, its just whether you bought a definitive bit of kit or whether it represents a step in their research and development.

Time will tell and at the end of the day and the most important considerations for now will be whether you happy with it? Does it do what you want it to? If the answer is yes then you have made a successful purchase. The point about kit is whether it is fit for your purpose. You might be an observer who is not interested in the tracking accuracy over 30 minutes for imaging and so wouldn't want to be paying for a capability that you are never going to utilise. It would be interesting to read a first light report on how you have got on with this product in order to convince others out there that your kit represent a good deal.

Clear skies

James

Well I'm Not expecting to find new life forms out there with this scope. It only cost $485.00

I do know however that I will be spending hours every chance I get on clear nights with it. Astronomy has always fascinated me since I was a little kid

@Karen. LOL Mines NOT pink. It's black.

@C.V., So it does look like I made a major mistake in purchasing this thing?

I think this is your scope perhaps ?:

Amazon.com: TwinStar Silver 6" iOptron Computer Controlled Reflector Telescope: Toys & Games

The scope is the same as the Seben "Big Boss" I believe - the specification looks identical as Peter says.

I've not used one of the iOptron mounts but they look OK although I think the scope might be a little heavy for it ?.

Probably best to try it out in daylight first, pick a far off object and see how well you can focus in on it. This will also let you get some practice with the controls etc while you can actually see them.

I think this is your scope perhaps ?:

Amazon.com: TwinStar Silver 6" iOptron Computer Controlled Reflector Telescope: Toys & Games

The scope is the same as the Seben "Big Boss" I believe - the specification looks identical as Peter says.

I've not used one of the iOptron mounts but they look OK although I think the scope might be a little heavy for it ?.

That's the one alright. Actually the scope itself is pretty light. Not sure about the weight but the tripod seems to hold it fine.

@Steep, Call me dumb but I didn't even know these could be used in daylight :D. I honestly feel like a complete buffoon.

• 2 months later...

Hi WolfsPride - so what have you seen with it? I have no experience of this particular scope but hey, it's a 6inch on a GOTO with dual axis drive, how bad can it be? Many years ago I began with a 6inch Newtonian on a home made undriven altaz mount, living in the center of Birmingham, and I managed to see double stars, bright nebulae, the moon, planets and even the odd comet. So get out there and try it out, nothing beats actual eyepiece time :)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes...

Hi WolfsPride

I believe most of the cost of your purchase has probably gone to the mount which is not a bad thing as if the OTA is the Seben one as some think it could be it may not be that great my brother picked up one of those and i did get to look through it and it was quite horrible

But the mount you have is quite good so all is not lost but you may look through scope and be quite happy which is what really counts but if its not that great you could always get a nice 127 mak ota which is a great little scope and use it on that mount which i think is capable of around 8/10 lbs which would be quite a nice combo

Kevin

Archived