NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where or how to recoat my mirror?

Hi All, hoping this is the right place..

I need to get my 12" mirror recoated or ground? I just know it needs something lol

As you can see..

mirrorold.jpg

I live just north of London, and wondered if anyone could recommend a way of doing it or know of where i could get this sorted plz..

I can't remember much but is it coated in silver or something?

What options do i have..

Thanks

Stu

Yea i was very surprised to see anything out of it,, i need to line it all up properly but not sure how to best do that either lol..

I cleaned it quite a bit but im kind of hoping a recoat will improve it dramatically!

Ill try them links..

thanks a lot!

Stu

OMG, wish i watched this first..

There was me with my brillo yesterday!

and no i aint joking! :hello2:

If you really did do that the you may have to get the mirror re-polished as well as re-coated. Depends whether you have left any scratches on it.

Imagine a mirror 1 mile across. To be good for astronomy the variance in surface accuracy needs to be around the same as the thickness of a playing card on that scale. Thats why a brillo pad is not a good idea !.

OMG, wish i watched this first..

There was me with my brillo yesterday!

and no i aint joking! :hello2:

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news but on the other hand it's probably best not to skirt around it and just let you know (and also to warn others!)...

If you have used anything abrasive on the surface the cost to repair the damage will probably be expensive. :hello2:

As you are in Cuffley then Galvoptics have to be the best option for a first contact.

You could drop the mirror off at their place, even take it there for them to assess and give some feedback or information before deciding.

Have to say it looks like it needs a recoat.

Just been on the phone to Galvoptics..

Sound like nice people..

£112 + vat for a recoat of both mirrors..

takes 2-4 weeks to do and then apparently i shouldn't use it for a further 4-6 weeks to make sure it's hardened off..

Ill be pulling my hair out knowing thats sitting there all new n shiny!..

Ill have to borrow Davids 16" for a couple months lol

thanks guys

It's not just the lack of reflectivity but the edge of patches where the coatings have gone (outside the secondary shadow) will be causing diffraction that will be degrading the contrast. I would guess it'll be in the 30% + range (going on my own experiences with a 14" mirror with coatings in similar condition apart from the scratches).

I am assuming for that the scratches are only in the coating and not through to the glass otherwise the recoat may not completely resolve things.

PS is the secondary held on by insulation tape? I wouldn't want to risk it falling on the primary!

• 5 months later...

Archived