Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

rgb 8th March

neil phillips

Pushing the scale clearly here, image histo was dim, its a case were more often doesnt produce a better result. these are the scale experiments ive been doing, trying to figure the most usable power with my equipment. a longer tube extension was used for this, as oppossed to the 7th march. ive concluded the 7th march scale is tightest. with the lower histogram here, noise is worse and colour balance harder as can be seen. got a couple more of these to work on. but i suspect similar results. but you never know untill stacking starts i guess

135% here

both 01:16 different tweaks

5544566417_805a3b114c_o.png

If anyone wants to mess with this its a k3 x2 (200%) stack mild deconvolution colour adjusted thats it

you can downsize to whatever you think works, ive chose 135% to control the noise. but agreed its still noisy. Johns routine sounds like a better bet for sure

5543017877_358a56620e_o.png

Hi Neil,

Great image, smooth and lots of detail. Note you have pink fringes in the rings. I have seen that and it usually seems to be there if one of the channels does not have enough signal, usually the B channel. I had to drop my frame rate and exposure from 15 fps to 7.5 fps to get enough contrast in B to make the fringes go away.

You get such great image scale, with my C11 at f/20 my images seem small in comparison. I can't go to f/30 because of the low brightness of Saturn with the DMK.

I need a Flea 3 !!

regards

Peter

Hi Peter dont forget i often resize to 150% these here are 135%

Yes it might be the blue channell, it often strikes more i find if the signal is low on all channels which these were, as i seem to get away with it more at lower scale higher histogram, even though the blue is still weaker

Ill post a example i just processed shortly after this was taken, but at lower scale and weak blue. but the problem has gone. just checking out your image now Peter

Interesting James i can see your very much use to using a lot of sharpening, the detail is there for sure. but i hate noise James. as such your left version i prefer, but even that still looks a tad to noisy for my tastes. everyone is different i guess. there is no right or wrong, just what we prefer. other than the noise, it looks good. I probably should have gone to 100% as its hard to sharpen at 135% without noise

Lol Stuart, James has done a good job, other than a slighly noisy middle i think it looks better than mine. always worth seeing what others do. just have fun with it. if you dont want to post no worrys. hey look at mine i just made a pigs ear of it. But dont forget it took quite a bit of processing to get it to the x2 stack itself. though my tweaks after, looking at it again suck i think

Neil i agree with ur comments

i should have said when posting i know u can and will produce better than me, as u have much more experience in capturing and processing, but i liked having quik play :hello2:

i'm interested in ur x2 stacking method aswell mayb u could give us some more details of exact process u do on here or send us PM no rush as i know its hard getting time etc i have K3 but have never used it for stacking let alone at 200%

tryd drizzle 200% on reg once with moon shot but didnt notice a difference

with regards to colour and noise and contrast etc everyone will have there own preference which is fine,

but i think Jon's recent Saturn post http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/134508-saturn-15th-march-good-seeing.html

is Benchmark for colour and detail on here and is what i would like to achieve mayb one day LOL

cheers James

I couldnt agree more James, Johns really fairly new to planetary imaging, but hes processing expertise in deepsky is second to none, and i feel hes taken all that knowledge learned from the deepsky years now into hes planetary imaging. Probably the best new planetary imager around no question. that saturn shot is sublime in every way, capture and processing, the full package. You would do well to learn from that as a ideal. Me too. The one thing that holds a lot of people back James is lack of funds. I love my Orion Scope. but i want bigger and better. Heres my wish list. at least 14" permanetly collimated. small or no central obstruction ( a c14 might still be ok lol ) long focal ratio. but not too long a tube. I dont want much then. Ok how about a 14 SCT 1/10th pv optics say f20 for small central obstruction collimated and PERMANENTLY set at the factory. With no chance of missalignment, cooling fans built in possibly a hatch to open that rapidly cools the primary. then a flea 3. and lastly a pad in barbadoes. Again im going off. No no no. back to my Orion and the real world. if i had lots of dosh i would probably keep trying lots of big scopes untill i found one i liked. The injustice of life eh.

Neil ur images are excellent, not much difference between u in John really,

esp as he has 4" more and better flea camera and better conditions

Yep C14 or 14-16" Newt with Flea would be only way to really compete with best as thats what they use,

although if i won lottery i would be greedy and go for 20-34" RC 1/25th PV custom installed ofcourse in my mansion on a hill somewhere dark :hello2:

came across this on CN with 10" scope and basler ace camera i think

really like this processing, what u think ?

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/Imaging/Number/4460774/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/o/fpart/all

Yeah its nice James ( the CN link ) hes caught the storm full on something i would like to do in colour. John intially learned a couple of things from me. since then i should be learning everything from him. ive re tweaked these there was way too much red going on, trying to bring the poles out went too far i think

Thanks Darryl

Theres nothing too it James, i just use planetary wizard on k3 it does most of the work for you, if you dont know how to do something in particular, Just leave me a message, and ill get back to you. but for starters look for planetary wizard on k3 it talks you through.

Archived