SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Electric-less Focuser

JKB

Just thought I would share a couple of pics of Electric Focuser. The idea is from HERE and is so simple and cheap but very effective.

2 cheap servos from Amazon, bit of wire and I made a mount out of 1mm aluminium which is fixed at one end. The wheel from servo runs directly onto the focuser at present but I might consider gearing later depending on how successful it is.

Enjoy

post-24182-133877544945_thumb.jpg

post-24182-13387754495_thumb.jpg

As for servos I got THESE They are full size Top Line £5 each.

The mounting was the hardest part to conceive but actually ended up quite simple. Attached at the top and the bottom rests against the tube (but because its alloy it springs back a little to put the servo wheel in contact with focuser)

Used it properly the other night and made focusing on Saturn a doddle with no wobble from touching mount.

Seeing this inspired me to make something, one raid of the junk box later, here is DodgerFocus made from an old Lego Robotics motor with a silicone rubber drive to the low speed knob on the dual focuser... works a treat and can't wait to try it for real :o

post-24384-133877546429_thumb.jpg

One day I'll tidy it up :(

Roger,

Ingenius use of some Lego. mmm gets me thinking what else astronomically speaking could be done with Lego?

Good luck to the rest of you having a go and post some piccies

Cheers

Roger,

Ingenius use of some Lego. mmm gets me thinking what else astronomically speaking could be done with Lego?

Good luck to the rest of you having a go and post some piccies

Cheers

collimate a polar scope or lazer collimator, its been done on here before :)

Seeing this inspired me to make something, one raid of the junk box later, here is DodgerFocus made from an old Lego Robotics motor with a silicone rubber drive to the low speed knob on the dual focuser... works a treat and can't wait to try it for real :)

[ATTACH]53466[/ATTACH]

One day I'll tidy it up :(

Is that a PC tower blank from the back of the component section I spy as the bracket?

Heh, well spotted, it is indeed a PCI blanking plate :) it was just the right length and stiffness, and the L bit at the top end helps keep the motor squared.

I used about 4 of these when I built my moth trap. They are very useful things, I never throw them away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi, great thread thank you. I made myself this setup tonight, I was wondering if on yours you have any issues when trying to adjust the servos very slowly? I have a lag and unless I turn the motor sharply it doesn't always move the other. Can you offer any advice?

Archived