Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula with 5 Second Exposures

Luke

....using a Baader Neodymium......

Just out of curiosity do you have any comparison images i.e. with and without the filter? Im looking to get this filter and would be interested to see its effect.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Luke,

What a great image.

Do you record in RAW?

If so I would end up with:

450 x 25mB = 11,250 mB totally recorded.

Keen to give this sort of image a go.

Can you confirm if the software takes the photo or do you have to press the shutter every time?

Best regards

Chris

I haven't got any test images for using the filter at the mo, I'd love to test it soon, I keep wondering what it does!!

I did see this thread when I was looking at buying it that impressed me, hope it's interesting:

Society for Popular Astronomy :: View topic - Baader Neodymium Filter

Thanks for the link. Thats an interesting comparison. Id love to see what you come up with if you manage to test it.

@AndyExton - not every object needs long exposures with this thread being an excellent case in point. However, there are many other, fainter objects, which will require longer subs. For me at the moment its a case of trial and error.

I was going to try this technique out along with flats using als virtual light box (1 time trying flats) but somewhere along the way i changed camera settings from nef to jpeg for the bias & flats so ended up with 170 x 10s subs and 40 x 10s darks which i have not tried to process yet !

Dan

Many thanks for the comments!

Sean I would be ecstastic if this helps someone get an image using short subs, that would really make my day as I've had so much help from others, without giving much back yet!

Well it'll get me into it.

Im just getting an EQ6, I have a SW 102, so not brill but its what I have, though I also have a 5" newt to try.

I have zero clue about stacking, flats and darks: genuinely not a clue whats going on, nor what software you guys use to sum all these pics, but if you can go from the left frames to the right frames with 5 sec shots...I can do that!

D

@ Chris, yes I did save the images in RAW, I think they munched up about 12GB, in line with your maths! - so I guess if you record direct to cam you would need at least an 8GB card and grab it in two goes, or ideally 16GB if you are lazy like me! :)

I recorded to laptop using the Canon utility. I plan to see what I can get from our dob direct to the DSLR, hopefully with as little in the way of extras as poss (no filters etc) though I'm not sure I will def get focus on the dob. Would love to see how it goes on a galaxy. I love the idea of being able to use the dob if it works without computer!

My missus Sarah goes direct to DSLR, she has got a cable release that can also do the timed multiple shots which seems fantastic, I think it was a much cheaper alternative to the Canon one that she is very happy with! :( I think you could still get good results with careful pressing of the button on the camera and maybe using mirror lock, at least I got some nice moon shots the other night using the camera button (I can't see a way at the mo to use mirror lock from the Canon utility).

@ Neil I think I would be okay with a 16GB card!! I think they are about £20?? I know it's yet another expense on top of all the other gear!! If I get to try the dob I will try and do JPEG as well to see if that can work, I've heard the JEPGS do not keep as much detail but it would be great to see if you can use JPEGS to keep the memory down, it is a hungry beast with the RAW!!

@Digz glad the link was interesting, I'll give the filter a test next time it's clear. If the moon is close to full that would be a good time I guess as one reason why I got the filter was to hopefully help me out when the moon is full!

@ Chris, yes I did save the images in RAW, I think they munched up about 12GB, in line with your maths! - so I guess if you record direct to cam you would need at least an 8GB card and grab it in two goes, or ideally 16GB if you are lazy like me! :(

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the information. I use 2 x 32GB CF cards in my Nikon's so no worries about storage space! As to £20 for 16GB that would be cheap. I think I paid about £200 each for mine :). But with my photography I try to have the most certain method of storing. Having said that, you could pay several hundred pounds, but as I am an amateur I only have me to worry about if my photos don't survive to the computer and multiple back up systems :p

Best regards

Chris

Just a quick update!

I tried the technique on the dob last night (an auto dob, which somehow the missus has converted to a goto with a new handset!! Don't know if it is as accurate as a genuine goto but am chuffed!).

But sadly I had to give up as there was a fair bit of trailing, even at one second!

I think the mount was fairly level, I used a spirit level though not 100% sure where the best place is on the dob to read the level from, I get different readings across the top of the base!

The focal length is fairly long at 1.5 m so maybe I was being too optimistic though I am loving testing things out!

Was hoping to try the neodymium filter on and off as well on the dob but it proved a no go with the trails!

Sorry for no upbeat on the dob!

Archived