Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Fears of Collimating a telescope

Being fairly new to astronomy and in the process of deciding what scope to purchase, one of my fears is of collimating my new telescope.

The scope i am interested in is the SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian reflector.

Now i have never done it, but it is one of the main things stopping me buying a telescope, please can i get some advice on this topic to help me put my mind at rest.

How easy is collimation?

How often do i need to collimate (on average)?

How long does it take?

What instrument is best suited to collimation?

I am worried that i will not be able to do it or i might damage my scope in doing so.

euthygramissophobia (ευθυγραμισσοφοβια) is a common complaint.

Collimation is easy if the telescope mechanics are well made. If they are not, there's no point doing it anyway. What scope were you thinking of buying.

How easy is collimation? Very easy

How often do i need to collimate (on average)? I give my scope a quick check every time i use it, but to be honest unless it's has a knock not very often and thats a fine tweek, month mybe 2 months.

How long does it take? once you get the hang of it a 5 mins

What instrument is best suited to collimation? Mainly newtonians.

My first collimation was a nightmare.

After that, dead easy. I just check it before every use, and adjust if necessary. 2 minute job. (IMO).

The same for me, first time was tricky (2 weeks ago).

But if you take your time, and work through a good guide (like Astro Baby's) it really isn't as bad as you think.

To be honest I haven't had to touch it since that first setup, I checked it last night and it was "good enough" and the next time I do need to make some adjustments doesn't hold any fears for me now.

As an example, with my 16" Lightbridge using a laser collimator, it was quite daunting to start with. I knew I would have to collimate each time it was used, but it's just a quick 'matter of course' procedure to carry out before use now. I'm sure I read that smaller apature Newts only require collimating every now and then, but can't speak from personal experience on that. There are quite a few how to articles about collimating your scope out there also like Astro Baby's one. :)

Fear is usually not a good guide.

All scopes need collimation. Refractors stay collimated once they are (in the factory), but getting a refractor because it doesn't need to be collimated isn't rational (there are other reasons, as small refractors are ready faster because they need not to be cooled close to ambient as badly, but collimation fear is not a good reason).

generally I think people find the secondary tricker than the primary but foir visual use the secondary does not need to be too precise and also shouldnt actually move at all (so if its ok from the off it should stay ok). Also, if you buy a newtonian scope with a focal ration of F6plus collimation is less important because you can be quite far off "perfect" with no detriment to the view (visually).

I think everyone gets the hang of it (even me and I am pretty rubbish at anythign practical).

best tools - cheshire collimating eyepiece (about £25) and homemade collicap (25p)

I collimated my 'scope for the first time last night, took me 2 hours and I *think* I have got it right, just need to do a star test.

I'm sure the next time will be a lot faster as I was taking my time to understand every step before I did it. Astro-Baby's tutorial was very useful.

roger

I think what was said before applies here, get a scope that doesnt need collimating if you are nervous of doing it.

A fixed collimation refractor, of which there are loads of differing qualities and sizes to choose from is the answer if you dont like collimating. Well behaved, no fuss nor bother.

But to answer your questions if you are thinking of a reflector/compound then

How easy, 1st time takes a little time and thought, after that its automatic and dead easy.

How often, depends on the scope I had a 6" newt for 2 years and I collimated it once never knocked it or droped it and it was still in collimation when I sold it. I had an 11 SCT that held its collimation well for such a large scope but I used to just check before doing anything planetary with it, took all of 2 minutes to collimate that one.

What instrument is best suited. Hmm difficult question to answer. A scope that doesnt require collimating is the best suited. But other than that a good quality scope will hold its collimation better and be easier to collimate than a cheapo 50 quid chain store scope.

Damage, what can you damage, Spose you could undo the secondary screws too far and have the secondary drop out but then that is very unlikely.

Theres alot of waffle said about collimation which can put newcomers off. Its easy. Ive collimated Newts, SCTs, Maks, and refractors and theres nothing difficult or scarey about it.

Philj

hello i just received my cheshire collimator this morning (thx flo) and have just completed my first collimation. i am also new to astronomy but i followed astrobabys tutorial and everything seemed to go ok. i gave myself about an hour and a half it took about 45 mins to do i have a f5 scope

i was also worried about doing this job as it seemed a bit daunting but to be honest its quiet easy (tho im yet to check how good a job i have done or not done)and by easy i mean after doing it a dozen or so times it will be a piece of cake

all i will say is take your time and do it slowly and then all should go well

and thanks AB for the tutorial

star

Well thanks for the replies and i feel a bit more at ease with the collimation process especially after reading philj and star_chaser posts.

Does anyone have a link to the post from Astro Baby on collimation as i will have to read that as it has helped others on here.

Next thing is which collimation tool do i purchase the cheshire or the laser collimator and who's? One thing i have read is that a laser collimator needs calibrating now and again but is easier to use than the cheshire collimator, but again i have no idea which one is more suited to a newbie with a 8" dob.

Thanks again guys.

If your dob has a centre-spot (and 8" ones tend to do), a Cheshire is fine. Also, lasers are good for when you can't reach the collimation knobs with your eye to the eyepiece.
That is good to know, thanks.
Astro Babys Guide to Collimation

The first bit about the secondary holder helped me big time.

Now that I know what to look for, I just start each observing session doing a star test.

Thanks for that mate.

I've had my scope just a month or so,and had never heard the word"collimation".Now,I have a Cheshire eyepiece,have taken out the primary and put a central spot on it,put everything "out" and put it all right again-all thanks to advice from this forum.Collimation-or simply lining one mirror up with the other,as we say in English-is child's play.

I have the scope you are thinking of buying. Collimation is indeed easy once you perform it a few times. All you need is an empty film canister and a Cheshire eyepiece. The 200p also holds collimation really well. I have only tweaked mine once in two months. Takes less than 5 minutes .Don't let collimation fears put you off buying this scope. It's excellent.

I have just placed my order for my scope and other bits with Steve at First Light Optics (FLO) after a good chat and some sound advice it was suggested that the Baader MKIII laser collimeter would be more suited to the Skyliner 200P as on larger dobsonian scopes the laser makes it easier to do it on your own, so thank you for all of your advice and here is to my first collimation being a success :(

My advice: don't waste your money on a cheap laser collimator (and unfortunately I lump the Baader in that group because of its poor fit in Synta focusers, although I confess I've only used the Mk I and Mk II models). Just get a Cheshire/sight tube combination tool. If you really want a laser collimator and don't want to get one in the 'States, get this one:

Orion LaserMate Pro Collimation Kit

By the way, it's no coincidence it also comes with a Cheshire (without sight tube), because the makers know what's good: a Cheshire is more precise for setting the tilt of the primary than the return beam of a laser collimator (there are other gizmos to turn a laser into something precise using the "barlowed laser protocol", but I digress).

Unfortunately FLO doesn't carry it (or things even better like Howie Glatter laser collimators). On the FLO site, the Really Good Collimation Tools packages are the CatsEye ones, but they cost an arm and a leg (not if you have a larger scope that costs quite a bit, but certainly for a cheaper scope). If you haven't got the money for that, frankly, I'd simply buy the 25GBP collimation eyepiece instead if I had to buy a tool from FLO, even though it's slightly more cumbersome to use.

Yes, the laser makes it a lot easier (an is much more convenient when you'r eon your own), but it also makes it easier to think your scope is collimated when it isn't (or at least isn't very precisely).

It's only an opinion, of course, but it's from someone who's collimated an awful lot of scopes and had an awful lot of different collimation tools in his hands...

Archived