Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 weeks and thinking of an upgrade

Im no expert but I cant think of any reason other than the sturdiness (is that a word?) of the CG-3

Im not familiar with the CG-3 Mount but I dont know whether it will be 'man' enough for the weight of the 200p DS.

Your signature says: Celestron Astromaster 130EQMD (Oh my its big)

Have you an idea how much bigger the 200P will be?

Not sure of the CG-3 but if it came with the 130 then it will be too small for the 200.

The 200 will be about 3 times heavier then the 130, and that is just the mirror. The rest of the scope will be scaled up also, as in half as long again.

Cheers guy's.

From what your saying the upgrade to a 200P will need to be a complete change of tripod, mount and scope.

To my minds eye its only 70mm bigger and about 50mm longer so what's the problem..... :)

weight is the problem a cg3 won't take that sort of weight

Why do you want to upgrade?

That's a good question to ask.

The more I look at astro-photography the more I realise that what is at home wont do. I'm probably being like a baby trying to run before he can walk. At £700 plus its way out of my budget at the moment and I don't know enough about the stars yet.

I just see what others are doing and know that's where it will end up. Daft I know.....

I think I am a little disappointed by what I've seen so far with the equipment we have and want better. Part of that however is user error........

The moon shots we got on our first time out were amazing, but after that its pretty much downhill from there.

I wouldnt say daft. I know the feeling. I wanted to plunge in at the deep end with astrophotography and it can be very expensive, but also very rewarding.

My best advise would be persevere with what you have now and as Helen says SGL6 will be a good place to see what kind of kit you may want to upgrade to.

It may only look like a small increase in overall dimensions, but even so it could double (or more) the weight of the OTA. I think the CG3 was a bit marginal for the 130 OTA to start with, so it wouldn't stand a chance with the 200.

James

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice on my mad idea. I'I have a look at SGL6 and see what people are talking about and maybe learn a bit more to use what I've got to a better standard before deciding to move on.

Thank you.

Archived