Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1848 Soul Nebula - HST Palette & HaO3O3

Grinde

Hey!

Here's my 2nd attempt at making color images out of narrowband data. First time using the HaO3O3 technique, pretty fast & simple compared to the S2HaO3 HST palette.

I would've ended up with twice the exposures if the object hadn't dropped behind the trees close to my scope, but I choosed the location 'cause of the ability to go inside & sleep & pick the stuff up in the morning, since it's not an option to show up at my company being tired :)

The data:

S2: 7*20min

Ha: 3*20min

O3: 6*20min

Ha used as Lum in both photos.

5481533501_524d938e51_b.jpg

5482276414_8c4562758f_b.jpg

FSQ-106EDX, QSI583wsg, EQ6, Astrodon 5nm filters

Thanks alot! :) Anybody know a list of objects that'd look awesome in HST-Palette? 'cause I'm already hungry for more targets. & since the narrowband filterwheel is mounted, I might as well keep shooting HST, great fun!

Wow, especially the 2nd version is a real stunner!

Cheers

Werner

Thanks alot!

I'm starting to like the HST palette soo much now, already working on my 3rd now, soon to be posted (& I'm too lazy to switch filterwheel to LRGB)

Amazing images, the HST is stunning. You seem to have a very good signal especially in S2, do you use 1x1 or bin 2x2 for these?

It's interesting that you have Ha for Lum, some people will tell you not to do this, I don't agree with that advice myself. You have proven beyond doubt what can be achieved with this method.

Great imaging.

Cheers,

Rich.

Amazing images, the HST is stunning. You seem to have a very good signal especially in S2, do you use 1x1 or bin 2x2 for these?

It's interesting that you have Ha for Lum, some people will tell you not to do this, I don't agree with that advice myself. You have proven beyond doubt what can be achieved with this method.

Great imaging.

Cheers,

Rich.

Thanks Rich!

All shots where in 1x1bin, but I'm gonna experiment with binning the S2 & O3 to 2x2 next time, & maybe less exposures. As long as a good signal 1x1 binned h-alpha is used as Lum, you could blur the colors pretty much using Noise/Median in photoshop without loosing detail in the colors..

2h20min really helped in the S2, but as stated above, I feel I could get away with less, since I blur the mapped colors underneath a H-alpha Lum layer in photoshop.

I've read that binning is bad since it'd be hard to match the star-sizes giving weird colors, but I still kill the colors on the stars quite aggresive, using the above technique, to get rid of the red/magenta stars often apparent in many HST-palette photos online.

Why do people say that using Ha as Lum would be a bad idea?

Thanks Rich!

Why do people say that using Ha as Lum would be a bad idea?

I think the issue is when you may have significant structure in say O3 but there is no corresponding Ha luminance, then the O3 will be reduced/removed by the Ha luminance. I had this with the crab nebula using RGB filters, some outer blue areas disappeared when the luminance was applied.

There are many objects where I imagine this is not a problem as you've proven here, where there is a strong Ha image that covers all the O3/S2 regions sufficiently.

Thanks,

Rich.

I think the issue is when you may have significant structure in say O3 but there is no corresponding Ha luminance, then the O3 will be reduced/removed by the Ha luminance. I had this with the crab nebula using RGB filters, some outer blue areas disappeared when the luminance was applied.

There are many objects where I imagine this is not a problem as you've proven here, where there is a strong Ha image that covers all the O3/S2 regions sufficiently.

Thanks,

Rich.

Ah that explains it, thanks! I'm currently digging around trying to find more targets that'd be great for HST palette, the rosette & elephant trunk are on my list, maybe the bubble too with my 190MN. Too much stuff in space to shoot & too many clouds in the sky :)

Too right, that is sooooo sharp and contrasty. Beautiful.

Targets? IC1396 including the Elephant Trunk Nebula. This is right up your street a little later in the year, assuming you don't run out of darkness up there in the spring. All sorts of things from the VdeB catalogue might suite you as well.

Olly

Thank you all, I'm happy you enjoy watching the photos!

Too right, that is sooooo sharp and contrasty. Beautiful.

Targets? IC1396 including the Elephant Trunk Nebula. This is right up your street a little later in the year, assuming you don't run out of darkness up there in the spring. All sorts of things from the VdeB catalogue might suite you as well.

Olly

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately my 'dark season' ends in april, living just 3° south of the arctic circle. How's the skies down at Les Granges during the summers?

Thank you all, I'm happy you enjoy watching the photos!

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately my 'dark season' ends in april, living just 3° south of the arctic circle. How's the skies down at Les Granges during the summers?

They are like this...

935757461_PCNBS-XL.jpg

I went up to the North in 1981 on my motorbike and loved the area around the Arctic Circle. That was before astronomy got hold of me though. I met astronomy when I went the other way on my bicycle! That was in Ecuador. A bit different...

Your narrowband images are world class, really lovely.

Olly

They are like this...

I went up to the North in 1981 on my motorbike and loved the area around the Arctic Circle. That was before astronomy got hold of me though. I met astronomy when I went the other way on my bicycle! That was in Ecuador. A bit different...

Your narrowband images are world class, really lovely.

Olly

Wow. that's amazing being able to shoot photos like that during the summer! That does it, I might be coming south for some imaging this summer, astrophotography is becoming too much of an serious hobby for me, too much to be put on hold for almost a half year...

Did you ever see the midnight sun when riding north?

Thanks alot!

Archived