NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wanted:Planetry EP

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH I can see a pretty noticable difference when using my orthos over my Expanse/ Sirius / Hyerions. If I didn't I wouldn't put up with the narrow FOV and tight eye relief. :D

That's great - at least blinky can cross another 3 types off his list - all of which more expensive than the orthos anyway :p

John

I've owned a number of Naglers and whilst I think they are excellent i doubt very much that they are worth the extra money in terms of what you see. It's the old 80/20 rule where 80% of the performance costs 20% of the money, that last 20% of extra performance will cost you 80% more money (or even more!)

I've decided to rationalise my eyepiece collection and change from Naglers to plossls, not because the plossls are better but because having that much cash invested in my eyepiece case at the moment seems silly and I personally can't justify it. It's very much personal preference though and the Naglers are pretty much the pinicle of eyepiece design with very little room for improvement.

I agree Gordon, unless you can afford Nags or similar then most eyepiece choices are compromises to a greater or lesser extent. I think though if all you want is planetary/ double star performance then with orthos you can have your cake and eat it as they say.

I've decided to rationalise my eyepiece collection and change from Naglers to plossls, not because the plossls are better but because having that much cash invested in my eyepiece case at the moment seems silly and I personally can't justify it. It's very much personal preference though and the Naglers are pretty much the pinicle of eyepiece design with very little room for improvement.

After owning a 24mm Panoptic and a 13mm T6 Nagler I have come to the same conclusion Gordon - they are wonderful things but I don't feel comfortable having £300+ of my astro budget tied up in just 2 eyepieces. Also I was starting to get paranoid about getting a tiny bit of dust or an eyelash mark on the lenses which took the edge of my enjoyment in using them.

I'm constantly amwazed by the posts on Cloudy Nights from folks who own all the Naglers, Panoptics and Radians AND have a full set of TMB Mono's, Pentax XW's etc, etc - how many eyepieces can 1 person use ??!!.

John

I've got a 6mm ortho from a very long time ago (15 years ago??). I found it last week. Its says Japan on the side and its got a T in a circle next to Japan - does that make it a circle T?? Seem to recall the eye relief was terrible..!

I'll try it in the Megrez if it ever clears up here

Helen

I've got a 6mm ortho from a very long time ago (15 years ago??). I found it last week. Its says Japan on the side and its got a T in a circle next to Japan - does that make it a circle T?? Seem to recall the eye relief was terrible..!

I'll try it in the Megrez if it ever clears up here

Helen

Yes a "circle-T" ortho - the design has been around a long time !. The eye relief is short on the ortho design - it's not much better on plossls of this focal length either - it's not a fault really though - just how the optical design works. Orthos do have a reputation for being very sharp and well corrected though.

John.

A while back I did a side by side comparison of a 7mm Antares Ortho and it's counterpart in the famed University Optics (OU) HD range. The findings; these two eyepieces are more or less identical. Not performance; engineering. From what I could tell they are the same eyepiece, but the UO HD had slightly (and I mean very slightly) better contrast, but the differences were subtle and probably due to different in coatings. The Baader orthoscopic is another clone of the University Optics HD range.

Scope 'n' Skies now sell the 7mm and 9mm in the Antares range for the crazy price of just £29.99 delivered. If I didn't already have the UO eyepiece, I would definitely get the Antares. On axis performance is very good with clear crisp high contrast views and excellent colour rendition. It's simple - get one.

The Orthos from scopesnskies now come with FULLY multicoated optics, whereas they were just multicoated previously. The lettering has been changed to green and resembles the UO/Baader Orthos to look at. The barrel has 'Japan' stamped on too. Does anyone know if ALL the sizes come like these? I definately know the 7mm and 9mm do. Need to know about the 6mm and 12.5mm if anyone's ordered and got one. Be aware they are also still sending out the Orange type so it's pot luck if you get one of the newer type.

I have painful memories of looking through the 100ED for the first time with an Ortho eyepiece. I kept banging my left eyebrow on the scope's finder, whilst lowering my head to look thru the EP! :D The LVW's I use are a much taller and bigger EP and I momenterily forgot what I was using. :p

I think most of the orthos mentioned in this thread are rebadged Circle Ts from KK in Japan but with different coatings. The Circle Ts are just multi-coated. I believe Baader deny that their Genuine Orthos are just rebadged Circle Ts and insist that they are a different animal. The volcano tops on the higher-power Circle Ts certainly make for comfortable viewing.

Archived