Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Universe - Series 1 - 4

G2EWS

Hi All,

Just about to order Wonders Of The Solar System on Blu Ray DVD and interested in anyones thoughts on 'The Universe' series.

Series 1 - 4 is for sale at £71.93 which is a couple of pound more than buying the four series separately! But at least they will arrrive as one from Amazon!

I am interested in how good this series was having never seen it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best regards

Chris

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen some of the episodes they aren't to bad. Can be a little bit over dramatic sometimes to much emphasis on all the end of the world apocalyptic things and it does feel like they go over subjects already covered quite a bit. Just my opinion other people love the show though. Horses for course as they say

Jake

I've seen almost all of it, with the exception of the final two episodes, I agree it does do the apocolyptic thing too much, but other than that, its a solid show. First two seasons are the best. 3rd and 4th seem to say the same things said in the first two.

Hmm,

I am getting the distinct impression that it is allright but nothing special?

Or am I reading your replies wrong?

So is it worth spending £72 on the first four series?

Best regards

Chris

If it was me I would pass £72 is a lot for something that is only so so IMHO

If it was me I would pass £72 is a lot for something that is only so so IMHO

Thanks for your thoughts. Important for me to listen to those who have seen it.

Hi Pak,

Many thanks, but I think you might be looking at normal DVD. I buy Blu Ray as it will be viewed on a 2M screen.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/16096894/The-Universe-Collector-Box-Set-Seasons-1-4/Product.html?searchstring=THE+UNIVERSE&searchtype=BLU&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search&strefer=BLU&searchfilters=s{THE+UNIVERSE}%2bc{57}%2bae28{Blu-ray}%2b

Best regards

Chris

Got season one, its not bad, from reviews i read before i got it, people say Season one and two are decent but it went downhill from series 3 and 4.

If i was you i would get series one and if you like that then get the next one and so on...wouldn't waste £70 on something if your not gonna like it...surely theres better things to spend £72 on?

By the way.........."Wonders of the Solar System" is a great series. I bought it on DVD because i didnt have BR at the time.

Regarding "Universe"................just go for it.

Its not "hardcore" astronomy but enjoyable.

My mind says no, but my heart says yes.

Will i buy series 4?

More then likely.

I have not even watched series 3 yet.

Have to say try to get an old BBC show called the planets. One of my favs have watched it many times. Especially the episode about the gas giants

Second this, was what inspired me to get into Astronomy!

I've also recently been watching loads of old episodes of BBC horizon. These are much better than what I've seen of "The Universe".

It appears the BBC rule this arena. It's a pity they don't do bluray compilations of similar subject episodes of Horizon. The 3 I've watched this week with Brian Cox are all as good as wonders of the solar system.

Was "The Planets" on bbc recently? i have recently recorded a program call The Planets on my sky box from episode 3 not watched them yet though.

Am halfway through Series one of The Universe on Blu ray and its not bad, though i do also have Wonders of the Solar System on Blu ray and thats far better imo.

Was "The Planets" on bbc recently? i have recently recorded a program call The Planets on my sky box from episode 3 not watched them yet though.

Yes I think they were repeated on bbc2 late at night a few weeks ago episode 3 is my personal fav

Archived