Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars Availability

Debostar

With a 5" scope you'll have to wait until about December for it to get close enough to stand much chance of seeing any detail. Mars only appears reasonably close for a few weeks or months every ~ 26 months & will be best placed around March 2012.

For me it is an amazing feeling to be looking at the red planet. I think for people not in to astronomy this is the one planet that always comes to the tip of their tongues. Mars with little green people waiting to invade the earthlings.

It will be a while before we get a really good view of Mars. My software suggests it will be at it's largest at 14.9 in 2014. So far I have had no problems in seeing the polar ice caps and darker contrasting details of what is a rather small planet in the EP. I found most details can be picked out in a 5" scope given good seeing. It will be around August when it starts to grace our skies again and will also have the choice of viewing Jupiter.

SPACEBOY

It's going to be tricky getting a good view of the red planet when the max apparent diameter is only 13.89" next March. At least it's altitude is still holding at a nice 50deg, so the sky should allow some high powers.

It's going to be tricky getting a good view of the red planet when the max apparent diameter is only 13.89" next March.

Nowhere near as tricky as when it's at its closest (25") and scraping along the horizon... the next apparition is the best for approx. 10 years for those of us in high northern latitudes.

Nowhere near as tricky as when it's at its closest (25") and scraping along the horizon... the next apparition is the best for approx. 10 years for those of us in high northern latitudes.

best we make the most of it then when it next makes an appearance :rolleyes:

Archived