Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How much longer for McNaught ?

Kai

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm only just going to bed, stayed up hoping I might catch a glimpse of it this morning, but no such like, way too cloudy. Tried yesterday afternoon/evening too, same story. Fingers crossed perhaps this evening but the way the clouds look so far, I doubt it :D

Just when all hope fails,there shines Rob like a floodlight in a dark sky offering me one last hope.

Looks like i will have to go and visit my folks as they have a brilliant view from the south to the north west looking back into kent.

After it clears the other side of the sun, it will be rising after sunrise and setting before sunset for Northern Hemisphere observers. Southern Hemisphere observers will be able to see it, though, with the sun below the horizon. I think it's very inconsiderate of the coment to take this particularly difficult orbit.

Well after my original plan went to pot this morning (involving driving to the coast to get a good horizon,but was very low on petrol and all the stations near me shut or not accepting debit cards) i came home and kicked my little boy out of bed to look out of his bedroom window.

To start with i had some nice views through the binos of Jupiter and the Moon just to while the time a bit.

Then turned towards the sun and across a bit........

You would not belive how many contrails you can see from my house (okay it is on the flightpath to and from europe !!!!)

Anyway i started to focus my attention on a "stationary" contrail very low on the horizon,over the space of 10 minutes it had'nt grown or changed altitude.

WOOHOO !!!!!

I was looking at McNaught :D Now as it was fairly light outside by now i didnt get much of a tail bit i did get a sort of arrowhead pointing to the sun .

Now all that remains is to see if any of the photos i took picked it up at all.On another note as the skies are clear i might do some Solar observations today and then later try for McNaught towards sunset.

Happy now ive seen it :p :p

I HAVE SEEN MCNOUGHT!!

WOO!

I was looking at a contrail for a while (man there were loads this morning!) anyway finally got the dob set up on the hill and there it was! Really nice coma on it. frazzled my eye though as I caught the sun though the dob, but managed to move away bit damn quick, so no pain.

I will try again later if it's naked eye with the binos.

Kain

Yeah I was pushing my luck abit, but I was so determined to see it.

If any of your youngster get any ideas about looking for the comet with the scope while the sun is about DON'T! you only have to catch the sun in the FOV and it could blind you.

Kain

Archived