NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12 inch Aluminium OTA

Glasspusher

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks stunning. Excellent job!

And looks so unusual to see a truss design mounted on an EQ mount rather than a dob mount. Like it very much!!

But I was thinking the same as Andrew. The dovetail could be a bit longer and have a locking bolt that stops it from sliding downwards....

Incredible you made this from simple tools, am looking forward to the reports once you get it working..

If collimation doesn't hold you could always TIG welded it up and that should stiffen it nicely.

Great project and very well done..

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the lack of updates, had a few other projects to deal with. First problem I encountered with the open tube was with stray light....a major problem from my light polluted location. I have fitted a baffles which have helped a little, hopefully I will get round to posting some images! Rob, I am hoping the 'baffles' will help with dew control.

John

Just a crazy off the wall how long is a piece of string type question,

Roughly How much would it cost me to get someone to grind a 20" mirror to F3.5-4? If I supplied the blank.

Northcote Hill Farmhouse

Northcote Hill Farmhouse

This is about the cheapest around and he's apparently very very good. The blank is a minor part of the cost overall.

Interesting :) And a magnificent job. I'd love to have a go at that. I'd have to save up a long time for the mirrors. Grinding mirrors is certainly beyond me, though I know some amateurs have done it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived