Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

not enough "in travel " to achieve focus?

Pete Presland

having waited ages to give the dslr a go in the 10" newt very disappointed to fall at the first hurdle,not enough inward focuser travel to achieve focus.

i think i know the answer to this question,but anyway is adding a Barlow the only way (other than moving the primary mirror) to resolve this problem?

thanks pete

It's quite usual for Newtonian scopes designed for visual use to have insufficient "in travel" to get to prime focus with a SLR ... if they made them that way, the mirror would be considerably larger, collimation would be more awkward and you'd need an extension tube to focus with an eyepiece. Newtonians optimized for imaging are usually described as "astrographs".

If the amount that you are short of focus is only a few millimetres, you may be able to move the mirror up the tube a bit by loosening all the collimation adjustment bolts. You will certainly have to recollimate the primary afterwards and leaving the mirror in this position is likely to cause collimation errors after even gentle handling.

I've got an Orion 250mm f4.8 and once I take the 1.25" adapter out I can attach via a T2 and reach focus. ( As Kookoo says )

Maybe the design has changed ?

One down side is that the focus tube intrudes on the light path.

Dave.

Hi. What make of DLSR? The flange to sensor distance varies, Canon EOS is quite short (and large diameter so you can use lots of different lenses via adapters. Nikon is one of the longest and wil not take many other lenses as you can't get to infinity. It's only 2.5 mm different, but one of the biggest short commings of the Nikon mount re asto stuff. Eyepiece projection? (Without spending huge quantities of money!) Is there something in the way that you could get a friendly friend with a lathe to turn off? Tom

the dslr is a canon eos rebel xt.the focuser is a crayford design, but not a low profile one.

i have been thinking about getting an apo for imaging and if i need to start spending serious cash on a low profile focuser i might go for the apo.

how would a 50mm extension piece from the scope to my camera help,is that the same principle as the barlow without doubling the mag.

Awfully ... you actually want an extension with negative length, but these only seem to be available manufactured from solid unobtainium ;)

yea i did think of going to Pandora to get some but,some of the Na'vi are a bit funny with humans! especially since we knocked their tree over :)

So can you not unscrew the EP holder from the focusser? That's what I do and it'e enough to get my Nikon D40 into focus. In fact, I leave the t-ring attached permanently and can then just unscrew the EP holder and attach the camera whenever I want to image...

...I just shouldn't have bothered buying a t-mount that I don't need!

So can you not unscrew the EP holder from the focusser? That's what I do and it'e enough to get my Nikon D40 into focus. In fact, I leave the t-ring attached permanently and can then just unscrew the EP holder and attach the camera whenever I want to image...

...I just shouldn't have bothered buying a t-mount that I don't need!

thanks i will certainly look in to it,no pun intended

Archived