Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help choosing a 'scope for lunar/planatery use

Hi all.

I've had a change of plan regarding my initial set up, i was going for a DSO imaging straight off the mark but being as my dad's shown quite an intrest in astronomy since seeing the moon and Jupiter through my nasty argos jobby (was a crimbo prezzie), i'm heading down that route.

i'm still going with the NEQ6 mount as that'll do me for when i go down the DSO AP route.

would i be looking at a reflector or refractor? i'd still like to get a few images of the planets/moon so i'm guessing i'd need a webcam for that?

Cheers Mark

A Skywatcher 200P DS is £270, which will leave you some cash for decent eyepieces.

If you don't mind lifting a lot of bulk, the 250P is £380. I used to have one and it was excellent - just a bit too big for me to lift around.

You can't beat resolving power for planets, smaller scopes just never have enough even though they may be more contrasty.

i've been thinking about the 200 or 250pds, any idea what the weight of the ota's are? been looking on practically every site i can find them on but none seem to list the weight.

i'm not particularly bothered about the portability of it as it'll be used in the back garden so i wont have that far to carry it, it's just the weight is mounting it on your own doable?

Yes, you can do it yourself. What you need is a block of some kind on the dovetail so it can hang on the mount on it's own weight while you hold it with one hand, and tighten the bolts with the other.

The 250 is about 12Kg I think. I had a 80ED attached to mine and that little lot was 17kg! The 200 is about 10kg.

i AM 5,2" AND CAN LIFT THE 200 without to much problem. I break the mount down to 3 pieces for lifting in and out, tripod, mount and weights etc.

The 200 pds is F5 so will be good for DSO and it has a piggyback mount for the camera.

i've been reading a few post's about the 200 and 250 and the impression i got was that there huge monstors that weigh about half a ton.

i know they are going to be big but if 12kg is about right for the 250 then i cant see me having and problems as i'm 5' 11" regularly have to hump 25kg+ about at work when i'm in the naughty books (which seems to be quite regularly) so all in all it would seem that the 250 would be the way to go and i wont be getting apprature fever any time soon either lol

I completely agree that for visual use, more aperture generally wins for most objects.

with a 10" tube (preferably f5 or slower) you'd have great views of moon, planets and also lots of other things.

I generally prefer my 12" dob for everything (moon and double stars included - aperture really does rule for visual) but the 6" f11 is quite a bit better on planets. the 120mm refractor I have previously but sold was better (or at least 'cleaner') for double stars (and maybe wide field - but use my 15x70s for that now) but that's about all.

I would go for a 8" F/6 Newt with excellent optics. They are very light and the EQ6 will be a great match. A scope like this will give very good planetary detail.

Sounds right to me. I would always prefer to do DS imaging with a refractor but you are saying planetary so the Newt will sing for you, I think.

And then you can start deep sky with it as well, which you couldn't with a Mak. Too slow.

Olly

I have a 127 Mak which is Fab for planets and Moon and some DSO and its easy to move around. Last week I got the Skywatcher 250 Dob and was a bit worried about the weight and collimation. The great thing is you can split the dob into two parts, mount and scope and is therefore easier to manage. As for collimation, with the baader Laser colli MK 3 it was easy to do.

The trouble with Newts is the diffraction spikes which ruin low-contrast detail. Sure you can see a few belts on Jupiter, but can you see the wispy cloud detail and mottled marks on the surface as you can with my Mak? Maybe you can... In the absence of that, Jupiter looks pretty much the same each time. With my Mak, it's always different and is an interesting object to view.

Low contrast also spoils the dramatic appearance of the moon's terminator.

I've not yet seen Saturn using the improved eyepieces, binoviewer and (vastly) improved diagonal I now have, but I'm expecting it to be good. Others are welcome to look at SGL6.

Archived