Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation 12" Dobsonian

I was happy, but now I'm not sure... I have purchased a 12" Revelation Dob paying £400. It's secondhand but is in fantastic condition. From looking at pictures of these it isnt the same as the latest model. It has the blackbase with the tension springs on the side. Everything looks spot on, but Im still to see clear skies. I hope I have done the right thing. From tracking eBay for months it appears £400 is the 'going' rate for a 10" dob. I felt getting an extra 2" would be a positive, should I have gone for a Meade or SkyWatcher 10". I guess I'm looking for an arm round me to tell me I have done Ok. I wouldnt mind adding some Push to functionality to it, how do I do that? new user looking for reassurance and advice.:(

This will be a good scope, I have looked through several Revelation dobs and all have performed well. 12" opens up lots of observing horizons. You just need some clear sky to try it out under. Personally I wouldn't think about push to functionality( I assume you mean digital setting circles) at the moment. You might want to learn about collimation though this will be important with this type of scope. There is some excellent advice on collimation on this forum if you do a quick search

Adrian

You have got the same optics and mirror cells in there that the Meade Lightbridge 12" uses (from the same factory) and there is a happy user base for those so I should not worry too much.

As Adrian advises, don't worry about "push to" modifications - just learn to collimate it and invest in some decent eyepieces in due course if you don't already have some.

Keep the base as dry as you can when storing it - they tend to absorb damp and swell which spoils the movement in azimuth (left and right).

Thank you for your responses, maybe its just post purchas nerves. I'm sure if there were clear skies and been able to see what it can do I would fel more comfortable. I think it was the previous quotes saying they were £415 when new that threw me. I look forward to posting again.

Applemac you got to take into account the rise in intrest in astonomy with all the shows ect its going to put the price up a little. Time will tell , if you get hooked you wont whant to sell it for that!.. i think its a good buy, and by the time of first light so will you.:)

Clear skies to you

Glen

If you bought a similar scope for example a 12" solid tube Skywatcher Dobsonian you'd be looking at £630 so I would be pretty happy with £400 for a scope in excellent condition. Size is everything when it comes to hunting down DSO's you will not regret buying the 12".

The beauty of buying a used scope like this for a relatively modest amount of £££, is that you can use some of the money saved on the cost of a new scope for some nice upgrades.

You can consider flocking the tube, upgrading the focuser etc, adding a dew shield (to keep the secondary dry and keep out light pollution etc )

If you want tracking, look into buying a dedicated tracking platform for the Dob to sit on. Any cash left over can be used on eyepieces etc. Lots of options and possibilities for you. Enjoy !!

TB

Size does matter!

If your base is still in good condition, take it apart and varnish or paint all the exposed chipboard surfaces. Then re-assemble and run down all the joints with silicone RTV or decorators caulk.

If it has started swelling already, plan for making a new base sometime!

Archived