Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First try at M42

AndyM

This is my first try at deep sky photos. Camera is the Canon 350D at prime focus (not easy to focus but getting there :D). Settings were a single shot, ISO 400, 20 second exposure, then tweaked just a little in Paint Shop Pro. Not cropped or anything, just as it looked in the viewfinder.

image.jpg

I'm quite pleased with this for a first go. :p

Andy.

That's a great first attempt at M42 Andy.

Don't be afraid to use a higher ISO setting on the 350D. These cold evenings, ISO 800 and even 1600 will give you reasonably noise free images - and a lot more detail. Make a Hartman Mask to assist with focussing ( search the SGL archives for info ).

Look forward to your next image.

8)

MD

try a lobger exposure , for more data , but a really good start .

Rog

OK, its "ask the expert" time. :D

What sort of time is a good starting point or is it just a case of lots of experimenting? I did try to increase the exposure time but anything over 30 seconds ended up with very washed out images. Would the detail still be in the image but need processing to see it?

Andy.

Archived