Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation Eyepiece Set (£99)

daz

Branded with the Revelation stamp, this set of eye pieces consists of 6 four-element 52 degree Plossls, all multi-coated and all with filter threads and rubber eye cups. Included in the set are 6 colour filters, one of which is a ND96 Moon filter. The filters are Wratten #56 #8 #15a #23a #80a. They all come presented in a lockable foam filled case, which is quite sturdy and seems up to the job. The eyepiece sizes are 6, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 32mm.

Typically, during the time I had these EP's for review, the cloud gods did not play ball, and so I had to grab a few quick peeks through the clouds, and did manage to get a peek at the moon.

The scopes used to review were a 16" SCT, a PST and an 80mm refractor, and were compared with my Meade Series 4000 EP's.

All the eye pieces felt a nice weight and all had the recess in the barrel for the focuser set screws or compression ring. The rubber eye cups were the of the standard type you would expect, and and had that nice, new feeling when folded down. I suspect with time, they will loosen somewhat. Of all the pieces, the 6mm did not seem to have a field-stop which did not give a particularly clear edge to the view, which I found odd. The others were fine in this respect.

As for the views, well, they were very pleasing. On the moon in the 16", everything up to the 15mm gave clear sharp images across the entire fov (too much boiling for anything higher). The craters of Tycho and Copernicus stood out very nicely. If I had one complaint it was that the ND filter could have been a little darker, but that is my opinion.

With the 80mm, I managed to get a look through the 32mm and 20mm, and I found them comparable with the Meade 4000. Contrasty and clear views to around 70%, at which point kidney beaning becomes evident. To be fair, the Meade 4000's also do, but perhaps not quite to the same extent. Saturn, although small, gave a very pleasing view right the way up to the 10mm.

They worked well in the PST as well, considerably better than the standard 20mm eye piece included with it.

On balance then, I think they are an excellent set for the money, better than the Antares starter set, but if I had the choice I would drop the 6 and 10mm and include a barlow, and drop one of the colour filters for a 2nd ND filter.

Many thanks to Steve at First Light Optics for supplying the review set, and congratulations to Martin2 for winning them in the competition!

:)

I like your review Daz and agree with all you say (particularly regarding the ND needing to be a little darker). One thing with the filters is that you can stack them, so you can cut down on glare (a bit) that way.

Gary

• 4 years later...
Great review but I have not seen this set available for £99. The best I've seen is around the £130 mark which is still good.

The review was written 4 years ago :)

Edit: Typing at the same time Kai !.

• 1 year later...

I bought a set a few months ago - no regrets at all, espcially as this was my first set of EPs apart from the two that came with the SkyMax 127.

The price is a little higher now, but the contents is a little different too - mine comprises: 9, 12, 15, 20 and 35mm EPs, the filter set, a 2x Barlow and a T-mount nosepiece. The 35mm EP also screws into a T-ring for focal point photography.

All in all a great addition to my kit, and I haven't yet used it all to its potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived