My Dark Sky

ArcturusMDS

Hi,

Just to let you know that I'm involved in a project that may well be interesting to people here, called MyDarkSky, it is completely free and none profit making.

We currently have a handful of dedicated users armed with Unihedron Sky Quality Meters and we're are surveying sky quality in as many places as we can get to.

If anybody here owns an SQM and would be interested in submitting some data please register and join in.

If you don't own an SQM but would like to be involved anyway we also have a method of assessing the Naked Eye Limiting Magnitude using Ursa Minor and we also collect that data.

We have 2 maps containing coloured blobs, one for SQM reading and the other for NELM readings. The Idea then is anybody can view the Maps and see where the best and worst places are for sky quality in their locality.

Currently the maps are a little sparse but new Data is being added all the time.

It's a free website created by amateur astronomers for amateur astronomers and the more users we have the better it will be for everybody.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Darren

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Darren, a warm welcome to the SGL forum, an interesting project you have started, it could do with an input from every Astronomical club throughout the land, memberships could help provide the information you require, from the local knowledge of their respective areas.

John.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

kharga, No i wasn't at Macc Town hall on Tuesday i missed it. I take it you know Maccastro? You probably already know about MyDarkSky then?

All data is welcome and it would be ideal to get every society in the country involved. At the moment we have 4 or 5 societies with SQM collecting data but the more the merrier.

Hi all, Thanks again for the warm welcome and the replies. Sorry i've not posted more details but it's been quite a hectic evening. I posted this information on a couple of forums today and I've been snow under with registrations and queries. This is great. The more people we get submitting data the better the site will be for us all.

Has anybody here looked at the site? What are your opinions?

Hi Darren and welcome to SGL,

I also have an interest in the MyDarkSky project because I've just volunteered to start updating the MyDarkSky Twitter page with any interesting dark skies info that I come across.

I'm (obviously) super excited about the MyDarkSky, especially the idea of cumulatively mapping the data, rather than simply providing an annual snapshot. It'd be great to see the map filled out with more data from other regions.

Kharga: I was at Macc town hall on Tuesday and very much appreciated John Tanner's talk about the Peak Dark Skies project. For those who are not aware John's working to advocate the Peak District as a dark skies location, including promoting better use of lighting within the national park and surrounding regions. He's got some great maps with recent satellite data on where the darkest skies are within the national park area.

Hi Darren and welcome to SGL,

I also have an interest in the MyDarkSky project because I've just volunteered to start updating the MyDarkSky Twitter page with any interesting dark skies info that I come across.

I'm (obviously) super excited about the MyDarkSky, especially the idea of cumulatively mapping the data, rather than simply providing an annual snapshot. It'd be great to see the map filled out with more data from other regions.

Kharga: I was at Macc town hall on Tuesday and very much appreciated John Tanner's talk about the Peak Dark Skies project. For those who are not aware John's working to advocate the Peak District as a dark skies location, including promoting better use of lighting within the national park and surrounding regions. He's got some great maps with recent satellite data on where the darkest skies are within the national park area.

Hi Hunterknox, I sent you an email this morning. Did you not get it?

I've not been to the meetings for a while since they moved from Jodrell Bank. Macclesfield is a bit far to be honest on a school night. Not for Me but I take my son as he's an astroholic. I meet up with Malc on Wednesdays at Holmes Chapel though. We'll have to get together sometime somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the friendly welcomes!

If anybody here is a member of a society then please get in touch with me. We really want to get as many societies involved as we can. We just coming up to star party season and I’m sure most societies will be doing something so it'll be a great opportunity to gather more data for the website.

Archived