Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open Cluster NGC1746 + Asteroid Thisbe

lukebl

Hi.

This is an unfinished project but I thought I'd post it anyway. With several clear nights in a row forecast, I thought I'd take the opportunity to image 12th magnitude Asteroid (88) Thisbe for several nights as it conveniently sailed past the loose open cluster NGC1746 in Taurus. Perhaps make an animation of the passage.

Needless to say, the clear skies never materialised and all I got was a couple of hours on Friday night. Never bothered with an open cluster before, but I'm quite pleased with the result. I know there are those who really don't like diffraction spikes in images, but these ones aren't deliberately done in Photoshop, and an unavoidable product of the optical setup.

12 x 4 min subs, darks, flats, 250mm f/4.8 Newtonian, SW Coma Corrector, Canon 450d, NEQ6 mount, PHD guiding. Stacked in DeepSkyStacker.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8738-asteroid-thisbe-ngc1746-no-marker-small.jpg

Which one is the asteroid? This one:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8737-asteroid-thisbe-ngc1746-no-marker-smala.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've noticed that there are a couple of tiny faint galaxies in there. Does anyone know where I can find out information about them (e.g. magnitude and ID)? I can find them on the ESO Digitized Sky Survey, but that's only an image without any labels. Here's a a closeup of them:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8739-ngc1746a.jpg

Managed to catch a few subs last night (3 days later). here's an animation of Thisbe's movement over the three days. Don't look at it too long or it'll do your eyes in!

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8778-asteroid-thisbe.gif

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've noticed that there are a couple of tiny faint galaxies in there. Does anyone know where I can find out information about them (e.g. magnitude and ID)? I can find them on the ESO Digitized Sky Survey, but that's only an image without any labels. Here's a a closeup of them:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8739-ngc1746a.jpg

Acording to World Wide Telescope there is NGC1750 and NGC1758 in there, weather they are the same as yours...?

Archived