NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My second (not so bad) attempt(s) at Orion

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done! :)

I can tell you are having fun :confused:

Are these just single shots or did you do any stacking?

Focus doesn't look to bad, tracking still a wee bit off. How long were the exposures?

Maybe a little more work on polar alignment needed?

Also i am not 100% but on the Orion Neb pic i think you may have clipped the histogram a little to much.

Any chance you could upload an unprocessed version? and we can all have a go at trying to extract a little more out of your pic?

Great images...getting better everyday! :(

Well done,

Michael

Well done! ;)

I can tell you are having fun :D

Are these just single shots or did you do any stacking?

No stacking.

Focus doesn't look to bad, tracking still a wee bit off. How long were the exposures?

Yes, the tracking was a bit off, it's a bit tricky using my setup. Exposures were 20 seconds.

Maybe a little more work on polar alignment needed?

It is difficult to align 100%, might need a polar scope or something, what do you think as I'm only using the supplied red dot finder?

Also i am not 100% but on the Orion Neb pic i think you may have clipped the histogram a little to much.

Yes, it's a bit too dark isn't it. :-\

Any chance you could upload an unprocessed version? and we can all have a go at trying to extract a little more out of your pic?

I will upload the unprocessed image later.

Great images...getting better everyday! :p

Well done,

Michael

Thanks for the positive feedback. ;)

Those are some very nice pictures. In fact you're making me somewhat jealous! I haven't been able to get out a view anything for a while now due to the darn cloud and now you guys are posting pics up of the Orion Nebula! Damn you all! Lol

I will have another pop at this later, but i am no expert, just some fun for me wheh i am stuck on a boat for a month for work :p

Defenetly invest in a polar scope!!!!!! with good polar alignment on 20 seconds subs i recon you would find the tracking to be spot on ;) you could even push to 60sec.

Michael

Rick, you're getting better, that's improved... Using a polar scope of some sort (did you check out Steppenwolf's thread?) is going to make things better. The EQ1 is really hard to polar align as the scales and gears mean you can't sight along the axis...

Rick these are great I am getting really jealous! Very good results for a red dot align on polars if that is what you did.

I bought a polar scope and haven't the foggiest idea how to get the use out of it even after reading guides :/ Perhaps Michael you could offer some basic guide to it all?

Thanks loads,

Adam

Rick these are great I am getting really jealous! Very good results for a red dot align on polars if that is what you did.

I bought a polar scope and haven't the foggiest idea how to get the use out of it even after reading guides :/ Perhaps Michael you could offer some basic guide to it all?

Thanks loads,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Have you tried this guide? This is the one that cleared it up for me. If at any point you don't understand somthing just let us know.

This one is for an HEQ5 but is pritty much universal

Astro Babys HEQ5 Polar Alignment

HTH

Michael

Archived