Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What should be on my shopping list?

Hi,

I've finally made my mind up on what my next scope will be, a Skywatcher Explorer 150P on an EQ3-2 mount. I was wondering what accessories to get at first, and having spoken to Martin at FLO, have come up with:

1) A cheshire collimator. As it is quite a fast scope (F/5), I assume it will need collimating quite frequently for the best performance. I am also planning on taking it on holiday so it will probably get shaken about a fair bit in the boot on the way. I would consider a laser collimator but for costs sake would prefer the cheshire unless the laser will offer any massive benefits.

2) A neutral density moon filter. Sounds like a good idea, but not quite sure which one. Again, to keep costs down I will probably go for the £15 Meade one from FLO, unless the slightly more expensive Baader one is better, or even a variable polarising one. Which one would you recommend and if that was the Baader one, what density would be best?

I have been advised to leave it a while before upgrading or replacing the supplied eyepieces, so if anyone can think of anything else that'd be of use, I'd be very grateful.

I'd also like to apologise in advance for the thick clouds that will no doubt cover the country from the moment the scope arrives!

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom and congratulation on your choice of scope.

All I would add is the book "Turn Left At Orion" which is designed for your size of scope and is packed with lots of info and tips. A red light (that can be worn on the head) to read this book, or any other star chart and to make adjustments to the scope/mount. Make sure the light is not too bright otherwise it won't preserve your night vision. A Planisphere, if you can get hold of one - they're a bit scarce at the moment.

James

Hi Tom and congratulation on your choice of scope.

All I would add is the book "Turn Left At Orion" which is designed for your size of scope and is packed with lots of info and tips. A red light (that can be worn on the head) to read this book, or any other star chart and to make adjustments to the scope/mount. Make sure the light is not too bright otherwise it won't preserve your night vision. A Planisphere, if you can get hold of one - they're a bit scarce at the moment.

James

I know its probably not ideal, but at the moment I use my iPod Touch with the brightness turned right down. Some of the apps you can get for astronomy are really good, most have an option to preserve night vision, and the one I use most also has a bright red screen option so it can be used as a red torch. I'm also going to "borrow" some red nail polish and coat the lense of an existing torch I have. Do you think these would be good enough for now or should I try and find an extra few pennies for the book and the torch? I'm already well over budget so if I can avoid spending it I will!

Tom

An EQ-3 polar scope will be a required purchase at some point. I did get away with guesstimation for more than a few months, though.

I did think about that but managed to convince myself it would only really be necessary if I started imaging. Do you think it is necessary then? Like you said though, I should be alright without for a few months, by which time I should be able to afford it.

Tom

It is a pain in the proverbial when you have to adjust the dec because what you're following has slipped out the top or bottom of view. The best I did without was using a fencepost as a point and using a lensatic compass to sight it as due north, put a stick in the ground and set the mount exactly between and moved the mount until I could see the north fence post through the polar scope hole. Set the lat and you ahould see Polaris dead center or adjust until it is. Crude but it is good enough to keep an object in view for about two minutes at a high mag.

I know it reads quite lengthy and complicated but it used to take about five minutes. Now I've got the polar scope set up it takes less since I've also got a paint line east to west for the back two legs that I painted after a particularly excellent aliegnmemt one night.

Basically, if it's just a shufty you want then you can do without for a while but you will eventually want one.

To reply to your response, if the red light from any device is fairly dim that's fine. The point I was making is that people seem to think that if the light is red that's all that matters when in fact, its not just the colour -the brightness is as important too.

There was a thread on here about the virtues of nail varnish/torches and most thought it wasn't worth it or satisfactory at the end of the day. I think your light source will be fine but try and get the book though, it is really useful.

James

I would recomend a Telrad finder...what a difference this makes to star hopping..believe me. :)

And if you say you are going on holiday with it then perhaps a good flight case..although myself I havn't come across any that large before but then I havn't really looked.

Good luck!

Michael

Hi,

I'd also like to apologise in advance for the thick clouds that will no doubt cover the country from the moment the scope arrives!

Thanks

Tom

I got a 250p scope last week and we have only had one clear night since... got a good view of Jupiter and its moons but then its been cloudy since...

I am a beginner and my most useful tool so far has been the Star Walk app on my iphone, if you have an iphone then get the app as it shows you where everything is in the sky at any time day or night and it has brilliant search features.

You can search for satelites, planets, constellations etc...

I cant recommend it enough.

There was a thread on here about the virtues of nail varnish/torches and most thought it wasn't worth it or satisfactory at the end of the day. I think your light source will be fine but try and get the book though, it is really useful.

James

I agree about this. as dim a torch as you can read a map with - I have used the skimmed milk bottle tops cut down and coke bottle tops, taped to the end of a torch - red and dim nicely.

also agree with the astro wonders book and Telrad.

star maps you can get for free.

I have only ever been visual and have never found the need for a polar scope. if you get it close (use a compass or point the N leg and mount at Polaris) you can track in RA for a long time before you need to tweak the dec a little. not really a chore at all.

Archived