Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telrad Finder

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone knows the best and dare I say it cheapest ( more importantly ) place to buy Telrad finders.

They are approx £40 on the internet, just wondering if anyone got one any cheaper.

Thanks.

I coudn't care less what our Telrads look like! They work. You can find things with them. The big thing is the 4 degree circle which tells you... what 4 degrees looks like on the sky! You have a reference on scale, which a dot does not give.

They use proper batteries and are reliable over many years. (Two lesser finders have popped their clogs here) but not the mighty Telrads. You can buy a second mounting plate and go from scope to scope, etc etc.

I paid more than forty pounds over ten years ago. Interesting.

Olly

There is the Rigel Quickfinder, which ought to work well on smaller scopes. It lacks the largest circle size and uses button batteries:

Rigel Quick Finder and Telrad - Review

If committed, however, you can mount a Telrad on even the smallest of scopes:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/567259-mounted.jpg

Here is a "shorty" Telrad mod, but the battery sits outside the box:

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt190/TOCharlie_Astro/Shortened_Telrad_Page_7.jpg

I chose a Rigel Quikfinder over a Telrad for my Mak127 as I had read the Telrad was possibly to big for the Mak. I can't comment on that, but the Quikfinder is excellent, as mentioned it lacks the outer circle which is a shame as the downloadable pdfs with Telrad circles look very useful.

But it's still very good even with only 2 circles and has made star hopping so much easier than using a standard finder. I couldn't manage without it!

Archived