Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what do you think about this?

i just got paid today:hello2:

i really want to buy a telescope- first i wanted to buy a dobsonian type but i just changed my mind because i may feel like taking photos later on in life to show some friends.

im thinking of getting this scope Sky-Watcher Explorer-200P 8" Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

My maximimum budget is 500 for now. i think this is the best choice for me becasue its got possibilities of -motor and a go to system.

i like to have something and not use it rather than not having it and wanting to use it.

what do you people think? i would love to buy a second hand one to save money, but i feel that with the lack of knoledge i have, someone might sell me a blumming lemon and i will take it- so for that reason only im staying away from second hand until i get more knoledge.

what do you inteligent people think about this scope?

I have the bigger brother 250px with EQ6 Pro Synscan. I have to say these Skywatcher reflectors are great. They dont break the bank and are of good quality. for photography, I would say the 200mm would have been my preferred choice (it's an easier beast to handle) however, as a keen observer too, aperture feaver went to my head! lol

A small note that should you end up getting in to guided photography in the future, even though you can add GOTO etc... the standard EQ5 mount does not have a guide port.

Matt

I have the bigger brother 250px with EQ6 Pro Synscan. I have to say these Skywatcher reflectors are great. They dont break the bank and are of good quality. for photography, I would say the 200mm would have been my preferred choice (it's an easier beast to handle) however, as a keen observer too, aperture feaver went to my head! lol

A small note that should you end up getting in to guided photography in the future, even though you can add GOTO etc... the standard EQ5 mount does not have a guide port.

Matt

ill swap my eq5 200p for your eq6 250px!! :evil1::shocked::D

Hi Raju and welcome to the forum.

You may not be aware but we have a For Sale Section here but it is only accessible for members who attain 50 posts and have been active on the forum for 1 month. I don't know of any kit sold on here that has turned out to be a lemon and in fact nearly all kit sold is in excellent condition and well cared for unless the description and hence the price reflect differently. So I would say get posting my friend and see what you can pick up.

When buying kit 'new' I would strongly recommend buying only from reputable dealers such as FLO but there are others. Nearly all the best retailers are run by fellow astronomers and so they understand your needs and also what can go wrong too. This customer service is worth its weight in gold and can prove another resource you can draw upon when you're starting out. Kit that is great for observing does not always translate well into great imaging kit and the scope you're currently chasing is great for observing and can perform well for imaging. However, if imaging is your 'end game' in the longer term, can I suggest you get hold of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will provide you with the necessary overview to help you decide if it is worth entering into from the start.

Lastly, my view would be for you to take your time and save a little extra to get hold of a mount that already has the motors attached as it will work out cheaper in the longer run. The "stars aren't going anywhere" it's an old mantra but it's true!

Clear skies

James

Archived