Dew dew dew!

I know this is really common and currently I have no shields etc.. but please could anyone give me some cheap tips to control dew..

My eyepieces mist up ( prob due to my heat ) secondary mirror etc.

What do you all do ?

Cheers

J

make a dew shield out of camping mat its cheap and easy if you need to get out tonight use some card stiff enough to hold the shape of a cylinderwrap some polythene round it and tape that round the end of the scope, it should project about 1.5x the apparture diameter

I keep my eyepieces a bit warmer than the outside air, in their case. Seems to stop misting unless you accidentally breathe on one.

A dew shield should stop your secondary dewing - it is very close to the top of the tube with the Skywatchers.

The camping mat dew shield will help. I find mine extends viewing time by an hour or so but eventually the cold gets in. Then a 12V hair drier is fine but at 02:00 can annoy the neighbours. The real solution for me in the end was dew tapes and a controller. Obviously, at each of these stages the cost grows!!

A dew shield should stop your secondary dewing - it is very close to the top of the tube with the Skywatchers.

Will I/we have to wrap the whole tube with a portion extending or just the top and some projecting?

Sorry to jump in on your thread Jason.

Dave

Will I/we have to wrap the whole tube with a portion extending or just the top and some projecting?

Sorry to jump in on your thread Jason.

Dave

just the top with the shield extending about 1.5x the diameter of your tube

I have a hairdryer on hand just in case. But i find the dew shield on the front of the 200P kept the dew off the secondary.

While i keep the eyepieces i intend to use in my hand warming up. This keeps them dew free. I also load up my pockets with eyepieces (with caps on).

Archived