Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two "eyes on the sky" tonight

John

I'm having a lot of fun with this setup tonight :)

Meade 6" F/8 with Chromacor and Vixen ED102SS F/6.3. The Chromacor reduces the CA in the Meade to levels close to that of the ED Vixen, ie: virtually none on the lunar limb tonight :)

Hopefully it will stay clear so that I can give Saturn some scrutiny later :)

post-12764-133877519554_thumb.jpg

You do like your BIG refracs dont you.

Yes Paul, I do - I know that newts make more sense but I do love the tight star images and crisp, contrasty planetary and lunar detail as seen through a refractor.

I'm lucky that I've got a 10" newtonian and a 6" mak-newtonian as well if I fancy a change - don't know how long my better half will tolerate 4 scopes though :)

Very nice John, I have been out testing my Helios 20x90's, I noticed a fair bit of CA around the limb, the views toward the centre were terrific far superior to my 10x50's but then you would expect that. I see you have two TV's on your scopes, I can only imagine what the views are like :)

Alan

Thanks Alan :)

20x90's must throw up great views of DSO's - the largest binoculars I've used were 20x80's and they were great !.

Ye I am hoping so, this was my 1st real test of them I spent the past few days getting used to them and the tripod/head, also had to rectify a small fault with them. I will be using these bins as my grab and go, really nice dark sky locations nearby, one only 5 mins with a excellent flat horizon in all directions and the other 10 mins with even darker skies but limited on the horizon, I loose the 1st 25 deg facing south but still very nice. :)

Alan

Thanks Alan :)

20x90's must throw up great views of DSO's - the largest binoculars I've used were 20x80's and they were great !.

what are you talking about John? just make a bracket with the right angle and you have a cracking pair of 150/102s there in your garden! OK it might look a bit weird but wow if only you could.....

Archived