First telescope

Davej

Hi

Well it seems I done what I shouldn't have

Dived straight in and bought camera and scope not understanding anything about the undertaking I was about to embark on

New to the computer world to seems I'm in it up to my neck it is a real complicated subject and I think I need to go to school

I bought a Meade ete125 And nikon d60 finding the operation of both very difficult and finding your site explains a lot just found it to late heres to a great future trying to learn but I think I'm in the right place to do that now thank for info everyone

Dave

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi dave and welcome to the forum.

I don't blame you for getting excited as it's very easy with this interest. There is a fair bit to learn although none of it is difficult, its just a lot of it. You have bought good gear and should you feel the need to change or improve on your earlier intentions then I'm sure you will clearly be able to recoup a good deal of your original outlay.

Research is the key and I'm glad you've come to the right place so keep asking those questions. There are no daft questions - I should know, I've asked most of them.:):D

Clear skies

James

hey mate, this site is so fricking good for people like us so dont worry, I nearly did exactly what you did and got excited and bought the first scope I found but put it off for a while, almost ready to get it now, dont sweat it now mate just post any questions youll see they get answered in minutes, the people are on ere are excellent

Hey thanks you everyone for make me so welcome what a nice collection of people this site has I look forward to what looks like being a exciting time thank you everyone

First question focus I managed to get my camera connected to my scope last night took few shots of the moon but I could not get the focus right looking through the camera is there another way to get fine focus or do I need something else to help me thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, a warm welcome to the SGL forum, you could try a small focusing mask placed over the front of your ETX, consisting of three pieces of fine black wire or thin plastic strip 1mm to 2mm thick in the form of a Y, attached to a cardboard collar similar to a dust cap, if you focus on a very bright star with your camera the resulting diffraction pattern should form an X with a vertical line through the middle, when the line, which moves left and right as you focus, is in the center of the X, you are at the precise point of focus, HTH.

John.

Archived