Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

100 year old scope on new mount

philj

Early last year I won a 3" Broadhurst Clarkson Star Boy at auction. It came with a massive period Thos Cooke eq mount which I used as the basis for my 4" F15 retro refractor project. Thus this little beuty got left out. a shame because its a good quality scope. From experience the optics on these are fair to poor but I reckon at sometime in its life a previous owner had had the objective fettled because the colour correction is exceptional with ca only evident at silly magnifications.

But last week I got a single drive eq3 (thanks to Dave F15 rules) and I fitted the mount to my homebrew tripod and then fitted the scope with modded 90mm rings.

I have really enjoyed using this scope on lunar over the past few days, simple, effective and quick to set up, just what I wanted.

I shall make a faux mahogany tripod for it and add some brass bits to the mount so it doesnt look too out of place but its added new life to an old scope.

philj-albums-classic-scope-album-picture8475-c1910-broadhurst-clarkson-single-drive-eq3-mount-homebrew-tripod.jpg

The whole set up looks very well matched Phil.

Thanks guys I love it.

Mick I spent awhile looking for a suitable mount, I tried a vintage Towa mount that looked elegent but was so wobbly you couldnt make the most of the scope then I decided on an EQ3 having had one 10 years ago I knew its size and limitations. So when Daves came up for sale, at a very reasonable price I may add:D I jumped at the chance.

Im pleased to be able to do this scope justice and get it going again, not only from my point of view but just because its obvious the previous owner was a practcal astronomer because they had fitted a super finder and had the optics sorted.

So wherever the previous owner is now I hope they are pleased that the scope is being used again.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks folks, for those who dont quite believe the hype re achros and old scopes heres a link to a pic I took through this scope of the moon tonight using a qhy5

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/129870-just-example-why-i-like-antique-scopes.html

This is why I like this scope, for a 3" uncoated achro of 100 years old its something special.

Philj

Archived