NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Has anyone had their Camera modified and regretted it?

I asked the question "should I get my Canon 500D modified" on the Stargazers forum and got no reply so I have tried a different approach on this forum.

I would really appreciate some first hand experience / help.

Thanks,

Steve.

My kits is

William Optics FLT 132

William Optics FLT 98 (the sexy carbon fibre one)

CGEM mount

Canon 500D (unmodified)

Lots of other bits and pieces

I did mine too, It isn't all that difficult, but you have to be meticulous regarding cleanliness. Minute particles on the sensor will be humungous on an image.

Follow the Tutorial to the letter, and decide whether you want the camera to perform a dual role, or just Astrophotography. The latter is cheaper, and you won't need to cement the new filter in should you opt for the latter option. It's that part of the operation that can produce problems regarding cleanliness.

Bear in mind, that the later Canon range, have a better Ha response without modification. I'm not sure if the 500D Comes into that category. Unless someone can advise you that is does, why not test it's response to Ha on a suitable target first, and make a decision when you've seen the result.

Ron.

Thanks guys, hugely appreciated.

I think it is sensible to get more practice / experience before making a decision but I do currently lean towards getting the modification done. However, I am in awe of those that dare do this themselves. If and when the time comes I will get an expert to do it for me.

I am new to Astronomy and inevitably taking from all you kind and knowledgable people at present. However, I do fully intend to get to the stage where I can contribute positively and try and help other people.

The intellect, knowledge and enthusiasm of the people on this forum are very humbling.

Take care and wishing you all clear skies,

Steve.

I had a webcam modded professionally at Astronomiser. Quite expensive but the guy really knows what he's doing, and does dslr's too. Give andy a call to discuss what's involved - he's a really nice chap and is happy to give some great advice. Also take a look round the website:

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

I started out with an unmoded Canon 450D, as I progressed I decided I should get it modified. However, my girlfriend often liked to use it for normal photography and despite what any one tells you about inserting special filters, the camera is never quite the same again for terrestrial use once moded. In the interests of keeping her happy and to stop her modifying me, I decided to buy separate modified 450D from UK Astro Buy and Sell. An expensive solution but I have no regrets.

Can anyone tell me what it actually means to modify the DSLR camera? I take it, you can't use it for day to day photography if modified?

I was planning on getting a Canon 1000d in a few months time, as I would like to get into astrophotography, but I want to use the camera for normal photography also. If I don't get it modified, can I still use it for both applications?

Cheers,

Scott

It means to remove one of the glass filters that's deep inside the camera, just in front of the sensor. It requires taking the camera apart, dismantling many small, fiddly connectors and then putting it together again.

The glass filter in question is meant to reject infrared radiation but Canon have made it so that it actually rejects deep reds as well. Unfortunately, one of the most important colours in deep sky objects is a deep red and we don't want to lose it after it's travelled thousands of light years just a few millimetres away from our sensor.

You can still use the camera for day photography exactly as before IF a) you replace the filter with another bit of glass (to keep the autofocus happy) AND :icon_eek: you add a colour correcting filter in front of your lenses (or just behind). Both of these cost extra.

If you don't do a)+:D you can still use it for day photography but you need to be more careful with focusing and spend more time post-processing each image.

If you feel brave enough, there are detailed instructions (with photos) on how to modify a Canon DSLR yourself. These can be found at Canon Digital Rebel XSi (450D), XS (1000D), T1i (500D) & T2i (550D) -Astro Imaging and Infrared Photography - by Gary Honis (These instructions cover a number of models including 450D, 1000D, 500D & 550D)

There is also a video on YouTube.

Hi, it's Steve again who started this thread.

Consistent with what I said earlier I am both impressed with and grateful for the responses.

However, that is nothing compared to how gobsmacked I am that someone on this forum has a girlfriend!

Allegedly...... :icon_eek:

Hi everyone

Curious to know if any other dslr's are of any use for astro-imaging other than Canon, I currently have a Samsung GX 10 and am considering it's future. Does any one know if it can be modded and/or hooked up to a laptop for control?

Thanks

"how gobsmacked I am that someone on this forum has a girlfriend!"

Lol Steve - my girlfriend is into astronomy too - I let her take the pics by pressing the remote control button - but I have to do all the setup. She also loves looking at objects - but getting her to do a polar align is like getting me to do the dishes lol :icon_eek:

I modified my 1000d not long after getting into imaging.

The main thing I noticed was its sensitivity to light pollution after modding it.

I could get away with decent subs with the SW LP filter before, but modding it made it useless, even with a stock IR/UV filter.

But then I added the Astronomik CLS CCD clip filter, which has made a huge difference. Just much longer subs are needed for good results.

HTH.

...that is nothing compared to how gobsmacked I am that someone on this forum has a girlfriend!...... :icon_eek:

... I even have a wife and young children. They get to see me sometimes when I come out of the obsy.

Archived