Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can i use a normal digital camera?

Hi all,

Just wondered, as the moon is going to be a lot more visible in the coming week or so, is it possible to hold a normal digital camera up to a 25mm EP to get some kind of picture?

My long term goal is to get into astrophotography, but this will take some time to purchase all the gear. Just thought this might be a nice easy way to get started :) Next step is to buy a webcam!

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott, yes you can hold your camera up to the eyepiece and take a picture, it`s called digiscoping, plus you may well get some good results. You can even buy an adapter to hold your camera in place which would help to keep the camera steady but holding it with just your hands can be good too.

You also need to disable the autofocus if that is possible (If not don't worry - it should work OK). You also have some control if you can change the ISO setting. Thirdly - if you can "fix" the camera in position you could use the shutter delay (2sec or 5 sec) to try and eliminate the dreaded "shakes" of the camera and mount caused when you try to push the shutter button!

I was playing about with my old 5meg mobile, its a sony cyber shot and the camera area is totally flat so it sits nice on the ep rubber cup, looking at trying some imaging using this as and when the clouds part! might even try to bond a mount to back of phone so i use timer feature, just an idea but could i take a movie on the moon then stack it in registax with this phone

• 3 weeks later...

Archived