Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" eps and skywatcher focusers

I've just bought my first 2" eyepiece and when I tried to put it in my focuser it wouldn't fit, so I measured the ep and the focuser and the focuser is 1/16" too small! Whereas the ep measures exactly 2".

I think I have one of these focusers.

Skywatcher - Skywatcher Newtonian Focuser 1.25/2 inch

Is this normal for them or have I just got a bad focuser? And do I need to buy a new focuser, an expense I could do without atm, or is there an adapter I can buy?

This is the bit that is too small.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's normal - and annoying. The focusser is fine - just badly designed. They are too small without the 2" visual adapter that normally comes with the focusser - at least they come with the later crayford versions. Do you not have a similar one to the 1 1/4" adapter for 2" eyepieces?

SW have finally sorted it with the latest 2" dual-speed crayfords I believe?

Theres something wrong somewhere because thats the standard skywatcher crayford and mine would accept any of my 2" EPs

...and now it's on my dob and I made the same mistake until I found the 2" adaptor in the box.

What you should have is another adaptor the same height as the 1.25" one but with a much bigger 2" hole. The hole you are trying to put the EP in is only for fitting the adaptors to. Pic now attached - not mine though mine's much cleaner I just found that on Google

HTHkingbee-albums-10-skywatcher-delivered-picture775-002.jpg

Do you not have a similar one to the 1 1/4" adapter for 2" eyepieces?

Unfortunately not. I bought my scope second hand and it just came with the 1.25" adapter.

Does anyone know if you can buy them? Or something similar?

FLO might be able to help, drop them an e-mail or pm Steve or James on here. Other than that astroboot as ScopenSkies has all sorts of odds n' sods.

You could try asking the seller if they have it. Did they advertise it as a 2" focuser?

I might take you up on that, but I think I'll see what my other options are first.

Thanks for the offer anyway.

?

How can you turn that down?

I guess you might be thinking of upgrading the focuser but even so you could sell the old one on easier with the 2" holder.

Nice on Tuc - The spirit of SGL lives!

Hi Scogyrd

They on rare occasions come up on the bay and go for between £4-£6 posted. There is a 2" compression ring adapter that supposedly screws straight in to the focuser at teleskop service TS Adapter auf 2' mit Ringklemmung für Skywatcher Newtons but with postage they ain't cheap. Unfortunately there are few alternatives other than a focuser upgrade.

SPACEBOY

Hi Scogyrd

They on rare occasions come up on the bay and go for between £4-£6 posted. There is a 2" compression ring adapter that supposedly screws straight in to the focuser at teleskop service TS Adapter auf 2' mit Ringklemmung für Skywatcher Newtons but with postage they ain't cheap. Unfortunately there are few alternatives other than a focuser upgrade.

SPACEBOY

Always wondered whether anyone made anything like that (a lot of promo pics for the focuser look like that actually but never seem to be like that in real life) but at that price there's zero chance I'll be buying one (I think I only paid Astrobaby £25 for the focuser). Looking round their site a bit 20€ for the skywatcher version without compression ring would be more cost effective at least.

Just a word to the wise re the skywatcher 2" eye piece adapter, If you buy a new focuser (mine was a GSO) then the skywatcher 2"adapter/ extension tube will not fit, it has its own "dovetail" type fitting - I didn't realise this and then had to buy a new ext tube to enable focus.

regards Paul

?

How can you turn that down?

I guess you might be thinking of upgrading the focuser but even so you could sell the old one on easier with the 2" holder.

Nice on Tuc - The spirit of SGL lives!

I hope I didn't appear ungrateful. I just thought if I need to get an adapter I might as well try to get an upgraded one first.

Hi Scogyrd

SPACEBOY

I've just ordered this. Postage was about £5. Which isn't too bad really, it'd cost me a lot more to collect it.

I just hope it fits ok. I'll update this thread when I get it to let you all know how it goes.

Once again thanks for the help everyone!

Didn't think you were being ungrateful - just trying to figure out why you'd turned it down as I wasn't aware of any other solutuions at the time.

You might want to get hold of a 50mm or so extension tube ready in case you can't achieve focus.

Just looked at mine and the 2" adaptor is about 36mm high (I think thre intention of the design is to kind of make the 1.25" & 2" adaptors parfocal if used with parfocal 2" & 1.25" EPs normally a 2" focuser with a 1.25" adaptor adds at least a few mm) so you'll lose approximately that. The drawtube only extends 40mm so if you rack it out more than about 4mm to focus at the moment it won't achieve focus any more with the new adaptor.

If 50mm is then too high you might be able to take up some slack using the primary mirror collimation bolts to take it a few more mm down the tube.

Thanks for measuring your adapter haitch.

I had wondered whether I'd need an extension tube or not. So to play it safe, if I don't order one it's bound not to focus, I've ordered one of these.

No worries - just double check you've not got any EPs barlows etc with barrels longer than the adaptor or they might not insert fully. Mind you if the barrels are very long (my 2" barlow springs to mind) you could probably use them without the adaptor and not insert them fully - maybe even set the length to insert them with a parfocalising ring.

I did wonder if there would be any focusing issues but if I read the item description correctly (German/english translatio) it dose say there won't be any focus issues.

Would be interested to know how you get on Scogyrd. If you don't want it drop me a PM :)

Archived