Starter Telescope

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those last two look very nice, but are a bit beyond my budget, but the explorer 130 looks to me right on the button.

Thanks

Now then..are there any 'must have' accessories..or will it be OK straight out of the box ?

Thanks for your help guys

Other than a good astronomy book and maybe a planesphere, I thought you would be good to go.

Start of with something simple like moon observing, and the easier planets, and then as you get to know the sky, you can go after DSO's (Deep Sky Objects)

Good luck.

Kain

You'll need a Moon filter :moon:

A red-light torch is also handy if you are to read charts etc without wrecking your night vision. I don't know how old your Son is but making a red-light torch might be a good project for him (paint a regular torch's lens with red nail-varnish or cover it with red electricians tape).

Lo John

Before You buy a telescope are there any Astro Societies in your area, it is worth a visit to them and see the actual kit you are considering buying in person. Anyone who comes to our Society wishing to buy a telescope are told to hold off buying and come along and try first, as our members have all been through the same process and wasted money on something that is totally unsuitable. We have made the mistakes so You don't have to :?

MP is giving good advice, as usual. If I had been in on this thread earlier, I would have suggested something a little larger than a 114mm (4.5") scope, as these smaller scopes usually have spherical mirrors, while 130s tend to be parabolic, and should say so in the description. I would always susggest that beginners look in the 130 - 150mm range for reflectors, and at least 80mm for a refractor. If you decide to give it up later, you will get a better resale off these instruments, and you won't be handicapping yourself with inadequate equipment to begin with.

If you can, by all means visit a local astronomy club, especially if they have a public viewing night, and can give you a chance to look through various scopes.

not looked at any of the scopes suggested but an accessory I would say is a must have, especially for a complete beginner is a red dot finder, they cost about 20quid, or less on ebay! I found the finder scope impossible to use and might still be struggling without this. Basically you just use both eyes and look through the red dot finer. You will see a small red dot, when that is alinged on the star you want thats it!! It is a zero magnification device and does not mirror the image etc like finder scopes do. It is the best money I think a beginner could spend.

For any newbie I would recommend a GOTO scope. So many I know have been put off by the difficulty in finding objects in space. A GOTO does not only find these for you (4000 aprox. ) but gives information of what you are looking at. It also only looks for objects, on a tour setting . that are in the sky at the time of looking. I operate a 8" GOTO but have also a Celestron 102 SLT GOTO for taking away on my breaks. These retail at £299.00 but can be found at a discount price of £245.00. Well Worth the extra £45.00 on your budget

I sort of agree with the above. To me though its a great feeling managing to find something by following the starhopping instructions given in the books etc. Each to their own though I am sure they are a great thing to have but it does take something away from the hobby....In my opinion anyway :D

To continue, I started with a ETX90 without GOTO. When I finally logged onto a Planet for example I was surprised at the speed it travelled across my FOV. I had not thought about this when buying the scope. I found really hard work as a newbie to Astronomy to keep the scope on track. I became disappointed with the hobby but thankfully persisted where many may not have. In my mind there is nothing wrong in making the hobby easier from the start and using the technology offered to us by the manufacturers. After all it is gazing at the wonders of the Heavens we want without hassle. On another but related note, I blame the advertisers of Telescopes, including the big boys, in giving the impression of being able to see the celestial objects clearly, inc. the rings on Saturn, and Jupiter with any of the scopes when in reality most of us with a small scope, in THIS Country, see only a basic shape. In the Arizona desert it may be different. SO I repeat my recommendation of including a GOTO on any make of telescope.

To continue, I started with a ETX90 without GOTO. When I finally logged onto a Planet for example I was surprised at the speed it travelled across my FOV. I had not thought about this when buying the scope. I found really hard work as a newbie to Astronomy to keep the scope on track. I became disappointed with the hobby but thankfully persisted where many may not have. In my mind there is nothing wrong in making the hobby easier from the start and using the technology offered to us by the manufacturers. After all it is gazing at the wonders of the Heavens we want without hassle. On another but related note, I blame the advertisers of Telescopes, including the big boys, in giving the impression of being able to see the celestial objects clearly, inc. the rings on Saturn, and Jupiter with any of the scopes when in reality most of us with a small scope, in THIS Country, see only a basic shape. In the Arizona desert it may be different. SO I repeat my recommendation of including a GOTO on any make of telescope.

:salute: :cheers: :hello1: :wav: :occasion5: :wave:

Archived