Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GRS Android app - testers wanted

legion48

I would appreciate it if anyone with an Android device could take the time to test my Great Red Spot app. The app displays the times on any given day (During Jan and Feb 2011) that the GRS is centered on the planet. I know it's not much use until Jan 1st, but I thought it was going to take me until then to get it to this stage. :)

I know the information this app gives is also available online (Sky & telescope etc) but I am aiming at speed and ease of use here. Once the app is clicked on, you are presented with that days data, you don't even have to have a signal or an internet connection. No navigating to different screens, no logins or passwords.

As usual, feedback on what phones it works /doesn't work on and any glaring errors will be appreciated.

">img.php?s=6&d=http%3A%2F%2Fastro-images.com%2Fgreatredspot.apk

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would appreciate it if anyone with an Android device could take the time to test my Great Red Spot app. The app displays the times on any given day (During Jan and Feb 2011) that the GRS is centered on the planet. I know it's not much use until Jan 1st, but I thought it was going to take me until then to get it to this stage. :)

I know the information this app gives is also available online (Sky & telescope etc) but I am aiming at speed and ease of use here. Once the app is clicked on, you are presented with that days data, you don't even have to have a signal or an internet connection. No navigating to different screens, no logins or passwords.

As usual, feedback on what phones it works /doesn't work on and any glaring errors will be appreciated.

">img.php?s=6&d=http%3A%2F%2Fastro-images.com%2Fgreatredspot.apk

Hi, I would if I knew how to use your "barcode" thingy.

When I attempt to install this, it warns me that the application wants access to phone calls (this is on a HTC Desire). Do you mind if I ask why it wants access to this info before I install it? :)

It doesn't want or need access to phone calls. I have no idea why you get this message on your HTC. The apps simply accesses a small built in database and displays the results, nothing else. :)

All seems to work fine on HTC Desire running Froyo 2.2.

You need to make sure you allow installation of apps from non-market sources but otherwise no problems.

It may be worthwhile pointing out that you may need to download and install the app again if you didn't set this option before you downloaded the first time. Froyo will prompt will prompt you if you haven;t set the option.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Tony,

Works on my HTC Desire. As Midpoint says, the permissions is down to your manifest requesting them, you just need to remove the <uses-permission> declarations to sort that.

Also, I don't know if you're currently after this type of feedback, but I found the interface a little confusing; "January" and "February" look like buttons but aren't. Also "09:01 - 18:57" makes me think of a range of times rather than 2 separate times.

A nice little app though :)

Archived