NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GRS Android app - testers wanted

legion48

Downloaded perfectly on to my HTC Hero although I had to change my settings to allow the app to be installed as it was not installed via the android market. The app is really useful. I would use it if my scope was big enough to see the GRS. Maybe one day...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Works fine here on Galaxy S with Froyo, but I agree with Midpoint that you should remove the 'Read Phone State' and network access permissions from the manifest. I'm usually very touchy about the read phone state permission in particular as it allows the app to grab things like your phone number.

I have to say that I found the double set of up/down buttons for the date control unnatural and confusing at first. There's a standard date control that various apps use that shows the three components (day, month, year) with +/- buttons - can you use that instead? Mind you, I only got as far as 'Hello, World' in android programming, so hats off to you for doing something genuinely useful.

cheers,

Robin

The new version is still asking for both network access and phone call access. I think you should possibly look into that if the app doesn't need access to those devices because it makes it look a bit suspicious.

I don't know why some of you are getting the phone access message. I dont get it on my LG intouch max and that's the only phone I can test things on. Of course, if you have any suspicions at all about the app you should not install it, however, I would be interested to know if it is just the GRS app you are getting the message on or is it the same for my other apps.

If you a willing, could you install this Lottery number picker app and see if you get the same messages? This app randomly gets the required amount of numbers and displays them on screen. It does not, can not, access anything else.

My Apps

The lottery app asks for the same permissions -

Storage : Modify or Delete SD card contents

Network Communication : Full internet Access

Phone calls : Read Phone State

According to the docs I can find this will be specified in the <uses-permission> sections of the apps AndroidManifest.xml file. It doesn't matter if the code doesn't actually go anywhere near those APIs, if the permissions are specified in the manifest, they'll show up in the list of things it requires on install. Apparently if you do try to use an API that you haven't specified in the manifest, Android will terminate your app.

Robin

Storage : Modify or Delete SD card contents - OK, the file is stored on the SD card so that makes sense.

Network Communication : Full internet Access - Well, you need internet access to download the app?

Phone calls : Read Phone State - This one I'm not sure about. Maybe it's used as an interupt if you get a call while using the app?

That will go away on Jan the 1st. For those who are interested:

The app gets the current date and if the month is > 1 (not Jan) then it initialises the February part of the program. The Feb part of the app gets it's data from a listindex of 28 entries, one for each day of the month. Using the app in December became a problem when the day became greater than 28.

It will work again starting 1st of Jan, honest.:(

trying it as we speak and getting Select list item: List index too large with a button to End Application. so not working for me using Samsung Galaxy europa

sorry

i get that to but if you press the back button, not end application it works fine

• 2 weeks later...
I would appreciate it if anyone with an Android device could take the time to test my Great Red Spot app. .....

">img.php?s=6&d=http%3A%2F%2Fastro-images.com%2Fgreatredspot.apk

I've just noticed this thread. What's the name of the app? because I cannot see the barcode when I left-click on the image.

I'll try it :)

• 7 months later...

Archived