Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Hopping

When i first got my new scope,which was a gigantic leap from my old one, the first thing i did was to put a 32mm eyepiece in and just slowly move around the sky. I was really amazed at the views. My question is this. What size eyepiece is best to locate dso objects?

I found m81, m82 and was gobsmacked, and while trolling the sky, i also found a double cluster which was mind blowing.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

I think you were using the right one - start with your lowest power / widest field of view to locate the object, then apply progressively more magnification, as conditions and the object being observed allow.

If you have problems with light pollution a bit more magnification can darken the background sky which helps being out the contrast in DSO's.

I agree too.

You can also try looking in the finderscope, if you have one, as many of the brighter Messiers can be seen there, even galaxies. When properly aligned to the telescope, the finderscope is useful for locating objects because it has a nice wide view. A 9X50 finderscope gives a six-degree field of view which is equivalent to 10X50 binoculars.

As said above i think you got it correct with you 32mm, i use to use my 25mm but was never that easy then i got a 32mm and wow much better, that and the telrad is great, also got the 9x50 next to the telrad, the telrad knocks spots of it for the getting on target, i just use the 9x50 for a quick look to see if it is what i'm looking for.

As said above i think you got it correct with you 32mm, i use to use my 25mm but was never that easy then i got a 32mm and wow much better, that and the telrad is great, also got the 9x50 next to the telrad, the telrad knocks spots of it for the getting on target, i just use the 9x50 for a quick look to see if it is what i'm looking for.

Same here used to use 25mm but 30-32mm much better.

Dave...

my own general method is Telrad, then optical finder and then the appropriate EP for the target. if they are lined up OK then even with a relatively high power ep it will be there. faint stuff though tends to stand out a little more with less power initially.

Archived