NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

obs finally looking finished

Neo_uk

Hi,

After about 18 months i finally finished my obs today with the final thing being the pier wich is a 8ft long and 8" in diameter ducting pipe that is set 3.5ft in to the ground back filled with concrete for the mounting plate at the top i have used a brake disc attached to five 3ft long pieces of threaded bar.The obs is 20ft long and 8ft wide which equates to a 8 x 8 area for telescope pier and a 12 x 8 warm room/radio shack my other hobby.the 8 x 8 area has a roll off roof that rolls over the top of the warm room.Here are some pics comments or questions welcome.

you will have to excuse the clutter as i have got to clean up yet.

chris.

post-14104-133877509454_thumb.jpg

post-14104-133877509462_thumb.jpg

post-14104-13387750947_thumb.jpg

post-14104-133877509477_thumb.jpg

post-14104-133877509485_thumb.jpg

What a genius idea to use a brake disk. But you could have been a little bit more environmental friendly and used an old one :D

Brillliant idea with disc, Looks pretty being new but I bet you'll have to paint it eventually otherwise it'll start to look that orange color. :)

I was very lucky with the brake disc a good friend of mine from our local observatory used to own a garage and had some surplus and made me the disc threaded bar configuration. so alas i cant take full credit it for that idea but it certainly works a treat !!.

chris

Ah Ah AHHHHHH!!!! Brake disc (not disk, embarrassed as this is the reason for the edit), why did I not think of that! people throw them away and they are perfect for a pier top. Make sure you give them a good coat of paint/Hammerite as they do corrode very quickly.

This is what these forums (and thousands of others) are all about... Comunication of Ideas.

Nice observatory btw, enjoy!!

Top notch!! well done...green with envie!! LOL

I am hoping to get started on just a pier and a scope shelter soon, so i have a peir qustion for you if you dont mind.

How did you keep the threaded rods aligned when the concrete was setting?

Oh and can we have some more pics of it all cleaned up and set up??? :)

Thanks,

Michael

Archived