NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My 42megapixel moon piccy

Technobill

Hi All

I dont normally do the moon, I normally concentrate on solar imaging, but back in september I took a 58 panel panorama using my 12"Lx200 R and a DMK 41 mono camera.

At the time I could not get the thing to stack. I had all sorts of issues with the different programs I tried :) , blending would work parts wouldnt line up, etc. so at the time I gave up.

I recently upgraded to a new PC with more processing power and lots more ram, tried again and managed to get it to knit together.

The image is too big to post here its 6500 x 6500. so its the equivelent of a 42mega pixel camera I guess :-)

The resulting tif was 126mb which might be too big for most people to even bother. Due to its dimensions its too big to post here.

I have two heavilly jpeg compressed versions on my web site, they still look OK.

The full size image is about 1.8mb

http://www.billd.net/images/stories/...FULL_Moon1.jpg

This second link is to a little 2000x2000 200k version

http://www.billd.net/images/stories/...Moon-Small.jpg

Depending on your browser when you click on the link it should simply display the iimage in your browser but might shrink it to fit. However after a few seconds you should get a magnify Icon. Clicking on the image will then display at full res.

Regards

Bill D

Billy D's Front Page

Very nice indeed :):icon_salut:

Which panorama progam did you end up using?

Dave

Thanks Dave. I ended up using Photoshop Cs4. It did the best job of aligning everything and did a good blend to boot. I also tried some other pano programs but they all seemd to do a pretty poor job by comparison. Some simply got confused and put things in the wrong place, other mismatched the tiles and did not blend them well etc.

Once I had enough ram 6gig and a 64 bit operating system, Photoshop did it all in one go.

That is stunning. Well done.

Chris

Thanks Chris

Awesome Bill, well worth persevering with.

Hehe I almost didnt, each frame was a stack of avis first so it took several nights to process them all then when after several attempsts (even manual) stacking just did not work out well. I kinda gave up until this new PC came along. Glad I tried.

Bill D

Thanks,

As I am relatively new to the moon, the larger image has been reprocessed and the filesize is now a little larger. Photosbykev suggested I process it a little more. I think the new image looks better but not when viewed with too much magnification.

Archived