Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thurso Castle Moonlit Timelapse & Star trails

Below is the the link to my first proper attempt at timelapse,i've messed around with images i've done for star trails before but the longer exposures usually meant jerky movies.

http://www.vimeo.com/16939318

Canon 5DMKII,Canon17-40F4 L lens

120 x 40 second exposures.

F4.5 @ 20mm,ISO 1600

Movie rate of 10 frames /second

Heres how it looks as a star trail shot.

Startrails1flickr.jpg

Cheers

Stewart.

:) The balance between the lighting on old Lord Thurso's little shack and the stars is fantasic Stewart. Well composed and shows great planning.

Can you have a word with him about a day on the river when the grilse run is on? :)

Seriously the still is better than the movie imho, really gives a good impression of the movement of the Earth against the sky.

Archie

Thanks Archie,i'm a bit miffed at how poor the timelapse has turned out.On the computer the quality is excellent,even at full monitor size but when i uploaded on flicker its poor and at full size everything seems to loose all sharpness.

Just up loaded it on Vimeo and the quality seems better.

BTW Archie,next time me and the Lord are out for a pint i'll see about getting you a slot on the river...:)

Thanks Archie,i'm a bit miffed at how poor the timelapse has turned out.On the computer the quality is excellent,even at full monitor size but when i uploaded on flicker its poor and at full size everything seems to loose all sharpness.

I've never uploaded a video before,anyone know of a better way of doing it?

BTW Archie,next time me and the Lord are out for a pint i'll see about getting you a slot on the river...:)

Cheers Stewart, I'll buy you a dram or three of Highland Park:D Just got to find the fare from here:(

Thanks guys,i've got lots of ideas bouncing around in my empty head.Got myself a Merlin mount so i can hopefully do some pan and tilt timelapse,need to get some practice with it in the garden before i venture out into the dark countryside.

• 1 month later...
Stewart,

Really nice work, the animation looks fine on my machine. What software are you using to turn the stills into the animation.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve,i used Startrails,the same software that i used for the star trail image.If you click on Build,top left, it gives you the option to make star trails or a video.

www.Startrails.de-Home

Archived