just joined question

starlite71

Hello everyone, i just joined the forum !!

I have a question my 14 yr old is into stargazing and has asked for a telescope for xmas , im totally lost can anyone suggest a good starter kit at a reasonable price that she will actually see things trough !! :)

long i know for a first one thanks in advance x

hi Starlite71

Welcome to SGL. We live in a wonderful time for astronomy. Thanks to the Chinese optic industry, you can buy very good telescope for less than £300.

10 yrs ago when I was 13, I got my first serious telescope, a 120mm refractor and a EQ5 mount. I loved it, I observed the planets, 2 solar eclipses, a number of lunar eclipses and one Venus transit (with solar filter). I took it with me on observation trips when I was in university and I'm still using it to this day. That said, a 5" F8.3 refractor on a EQ5 was a bit heavy when I was 13, and nowadays there are many scopes that will be much more manageable to a 14 yrs old. The Skywatcher Skymax 127 mak should be a good choice for moon and planets, and you won't have to worry about collimation. The Eq3-2 and Alt-az goto version is around £300.

I'd recommend getting a scope with a decent equatorial mount, like a EQ3-2 or EQ5, because they can be a good staring point for imaging in the future. Also, a pair of 10x50 binoculars and a planisphere can be very useful for learning your way around the night sky.

Hope you and your family enjoy astronomy

Keith

Archived