Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion ?

i should of checked stellerium - yes it is up now many thanks

Posted at 1:05AM, Why check Stellarium? Check the sky itself. At 1:00 Orion was probably the most prominent thing up there.

Orion's has been around for some time. Seen it most mornings on the way to work for the last 4-6 weeks.

Hoping that it would have cleared a set of trees last week by 9:00 for a public meet but it didn't. Pleadies and Aldebaran did and Orion just didn't quite make it. 9:00 is quite early for this hobby.

Sometimes I am glad I don't have Stellarium, get the feeling that astronomy is getting less and less to do with looking and more to do with a computer screen.

Orion comes up over the midlands early evening around end of October, through to early March when it's nearly gone. You can get up earlier sooner, or stay up later longer, to catch a bit more of it. But then it's another 7 or 8 months wait :)

Sometimes I am glad I don't have Stellarium, get the feeling that astronomy is getting less and less to do with looking and more to do with a computer screen.

I can't see the logic in this... Why should Stellarium be worse than a good book or starmap?

Hmmm... interesting point of view Capricorn. I use Stellarium to find where objects are - then go outside and get the scope on it for a live view.

It can also be used to control a telescope and send it to your object. Personally I find it very useful finding illusive objects and/or planning ahead for wich objects I want to see :)

I am further north though but that shouldn't make that much difference. Or does it?

Absolutely right, almost no difference. Just to be on the sure side I checked Stellarium: between Portsmouth and Aberdeen you can hardly notice the difference on the screen. I imagine it's imperceptible to a stargazer.

Archived