Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Airplane flies past Moon!

Space Beagle

Last night at about 8:45pm:

Anyone else seen an aircraft fly past the moon while observing it?!

It was quite a sight - wish i'd had the chance to take a photograph!

I was looking at the Moon through my 200P with a 9mm nagler at the time, so it was quite a close up view, I suppose it took the plane about 1 or 2 seconds to go past my field of view. You could clearly see the contrails behind it too!

Doc

It can be quite a fright to have a large silent dark shape block off the sight to the moon!

I'm currently staying in a house in the direct flightpath to the regional airport, and every evening the regional airline brings its planes home.

When looking at something and concentrating hard for a while, I can tend to ignore what's going on around, and either there's a suddenly large twin turboprop 300ft overhead overhead with the associated huge noise, or I get things blotted out unexpectedly if I'm lucky enough to be looking through the scope when the plane passes through the field of view..

Having said that I quite like looking at planes in daytime, especially now I have motor controls on the scope.

Having a plane pass through the field of view if it's close is more of a shock than having a bright satellite whizz through the field of view.

I've seen some planes pass in front of the Moon too, and some bright satellites. They can really make you jump when they go charging across while you're really concentrating on the details. This also reminds me of a good APOD I saw recently:

APOD: 2010 September 29 - An Airplane in Front of the Moon

Also, if you're looking for a starter scope, I would recommend the Sky-Watcher 130 - I have had mine for about a year, and it lets you see the Moon and Jupiter (plus moons and cloud belts/red spot) and a whole host of DSOs and other planets. They are about £150 new.

Archived