Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Use of Solar filters

Tink_Archived

I have bought a ready made one ... most places I was looking the a4 sheets were around the £14 mark and was only few more ££ for made up ones

knowing how hamfisted I can be sometimes I figured would be cheaper to buy ready made because chances are will mess up the film !!

Just make sure it's securely fixed to the scope - some gaffa tape at the edge for additional safety - Oh don't forget the finder -either get a small piece of the baader film for it or make sure it is well covered.

Aim at the sun by looking at the shadow outline of the scope.

Enjoy!

Well it arrived today ... really fast service from Green Witch (only ordered it at 4pm yesterday)

I must admit I thought it went in the eyepiece like a coloured lense so was surprised to see that it actually goes in the end of the scope !!:p

Bonus to that is I think I got more for my money !!! :)

Rushed home from work to try it out and just as got home the sun was setting behind trees so looks like will have to wait for another day.

Still lovely clear skies tonight here at the moment. fingers crossed for some nice viewing :)

Tink - Just to reinforce what Ken (Merlin66) stated. Make sure that it is secure so that the wind doesn't catch it. Check the filter each time you use it for small holes, rips etc.

After use put it in a safe place.

These filters produce great visual images and if used carefully can give years of great viewing. Care and taking your time is the most important thing with solar observing - your eyes cannot be replaced.

Mark

Only extra bit of advice I would give, is when checking the filter (before every use!!!) any defect, while a pin ***** of a hole or a slight rip in the filter, destory the filter and start again. Eyes cannot be replaced but solar filter paper can. The Sun is a very dangerous item to view if using incorrect or damaged gear.

What a bodge job I made of the filter, I followed the cardboard intructions because that was all I had available but I must say it works very well even if it is not the most eye catching piece of kit.

Got my first look at the sun just before the trees got in the way, very impressive with the big 3 spots showing . When I get more time I will try with a couple of different EP's and coloured filters too.

Will be ordering more film though and buying something more solid than cardboard for the cap.

What a bodge job I made of the filter, I followed the cardboard intructions because that was all I had available but I must say it works very well even if it is not the most eye catching piece of kit.

Got my first look at the sun just before the trees got in the way, very impressive with the big 3 spots showing . When I get more time I will try with a couple of different EP's and coloured filters too.

Will be ordering more film though and buying something more solid than cardboard for the cap.

What scope do you have? Only someone was advertising three purpose made solar filters of different sizes. One was for an 8" scope and £25. The other two were for 3.5"-5" scopes and £20. They are in purpose made metal cells with securing bolts to hold it firmly in place.

They are here in this ad from Skylight. Brand new Kendrick/Baader filters:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=37909

Thought I would add in a good luck story about solar filters. I purchased a ready made filter for my 4" Celestron some time ago and have discovered that it fits perfectly over the dewcap of my 80mm refractor. Plus it fits just fine over the central removable section of the dew cover on my 6" as well !!

Very good advise on keeping your eyes safe :)

Archived