Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my obsy complete

noakesy

hi all,

well today i completed my obsy, i had great fun building it , when i finished today the moon came out, so im taking that as a lucky omen, my pics of build are on ukatroimaging under label bar .:D:hello2::):D ukastroimaging.co.uk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for link i hope it encourages others total cost including base, shed, paint, pier the lot , £600 and self built no building experience, but make sure you research it , go see other for ideas etc etc , saves money and frustration,, but have a go the sense of achievement is fantastic. :D:icon_salut:

You can either use the albums option under your profile or you can use the manage attachments option which you can find when you click on the go advanced button. When the advanced reply box pops up scroll down under neathe it to find the manage attachments button. The files need to be under 2MB and 1200 by 800 pixels.

You could also use an external phot hosting site and use the links provided by the hosting site to embed pictures in your replies.

Regards

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

That's a really smart job and very similar to what I'm planning.

I have a 200P and EQ5 combination and was wondering if I could ask you for a couple of details, namely;

What size is the floor, 7 foot by 7 foot?

What size are the side walls?

And finally, what height do you recommend between the floor and the base of the EQ5?

Thanks in advance.

I keep going out and giving my chosen site a damn good looking at but just need the time and a push to get started.

hi darkly,

firstly the shed is a 6x6, i built my obsy high enough from the ground so i was 2 ins above my garage as i was useing my garage roof to roll the roof on to, ref the pier the main metal pipe is sunk into the ground about 4 ft, i picked up a large chinmey pot at about 5 ft in height and sank that into the ground leave 1 ft out of the ground, the pier has about 180 kg of concrete around it , its standing up well ,if you in wales come for a look and ill give you a hand if you wish.

yours paul

Hello Paul.

Thanks for getting back so quick, it was good of you - well appreciated!

Unfotunately I live in cold cold Aberdeen and I doubt my missus would appreciate me going off on a site visit as I'm not home often enough as it is, but thanks for the offer anyway.

The reason I asked for the onfo is that I've seen a few obsy pictures on here but yours showed the same setup as my own which obviously gives me a much better perspective on what I can hope to aim for - although I doubt anything I produce will look as good.

One of the things that caught my eye is that you have the sides low enough for the scope to look nearly level hence me asking about the difference in floor height to the top of the pier as it looks to me that you have the kind of setup I'm after. - A lot of people seem to have their scopes sunken into their obbsy giving only an upward view - probably for good reasons, light polution, available horizon etc.

However, even in the tight area I have, it's obvious to me that 6" x 6" is more than adequate for my 200P and a 4" / 5" pier.

Although I will have to have a raised floor to accomodate rolling over my garage roof, and therefore quite a long pier, but i think 4foot into the ground will be adequate.

It will all work itself out as it happens and I will post the outcome on here - when it happens LOL.

Thanks again.

Archived