Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking good for tonight....

Catanonia

Just packed up, got an hour of M57, and some nice single shots of Vega. Been adjusting the guiding tonight mostly and have got the QHY5 finder/guider with PHD up to 10 minutes with no problems at all. Was about to swing round to M45 and got totally clouded out, it will probably clear but I'm done. Been mucking about with the setup since 2 this afternoon and my back is shot to pieces.

First time I've left the mount set up overnight so fingers crossed I can get back out there tomorrow night and carry on.

EQMOD was fantastic tonight after spending the last few evening watching Chris' new teaching videos, made a triangle of syncs around M57 and it then when straight to it and popped M57 right in the middle of the cross hairs.

Really feel like I'm getting to grips with everything now, just need to sort out the visual finder scope which I'm using to confirm syncs in EQMOD so that I can leave the camera setup from the start.

Hope the night has gone well for everyone else.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if you have a Ha filter for your QHY9 yet Steve? Pacman is superb through that, loads of extra detail you just wont get in LRGB. By adding some of the Ha to the red channel you can get quite a special image :(

Not sure if you have a Ha filter for your QHY9 yet Steve? Pacman is superb through that, loads of extra detail you just wont get in LRGB. By adding some of the Ha to the red channel you can get quite a special image :(

mmmm, yes currently doing the following subs

8min unbinned for LRGB

15 min unbinned Ha 8Nm

All in a a loop till dawn, all parfocal as well :(

The Ha are looking good 5 in :(

I just had some fun, decided just to do some visual surfing. Very clear, could make out the Milky Way (rare from here) and when I was fully dark adapted I think I saw the North America neb (a first for me), I could see many stars clearly in M45, and the double cluster was obvious too. With the 90mm scope I checked out the clusters and star trails in Perseus, bagged the comet for the first time, and then got the clusters in Auriga. And finished off with a lot of just staring at the wonders of the heavens without looking at anything in particular,with a stupid grin on my face!

Helen

Helen

Still going here too - the air clarity etc has improved over the course of the night but the temperature is now dropping fast so no doubt the fog will come in. Had my fair share of mishaps - a refusal of PHD to guide, Nebulosity refused to capture but a reboot fixed these.

Some nice views of Jupiter with my neighbour through my 10" Newt and his CG5 - Io's shadow was visible for a while....

I'm now just relaxing and enjoying the view as more

SII data comes in from NGC281 (Pacman).

James

Meh. My met office forecast was 3, yes count them 3 clear nights - fri, sat & sun.

In reality what did i get?

45 mins after dark on Sunday before clouds came back and ruined the fun.

Thanks met office!

Rant over. I feel better now.

Archived