NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to buy a due shield online (UK retailer) to fit the SW MAK 127?

I'd have to say, that yes it's an essential. If you only want a shield and not dew tapes, then consider getting a camping mat and cutting one to fit from it. I've done this now for my Skymax 102, and a couple of camera lenses and it works.

I'd have to say, that yes it's an essential. If you only want a shield and not dew tapes, then consider getting a camping mat and cutting one to fit from it. I've done this now for my Skymax 102, and a couple of camera lenses and it works.

Oh that's a good idea whilst waiting on the real thing. Thanks for that :o

I'd go with making one before buying one. I payed £18 for one and so far have used it once.

My scope has dewed up on a couple of occasions but only as I was winding up after a couple of hours viewing anyway.

So whether you need one or not seems to depend on when, where and for how long you plan to be viewing.

I view mainly from my back garden. However, if I were to view from a field on a damp evening I guess I would need to use it more.

Camping mat....don't waste your money buying a commercial dewshield.

I have used camping mats on a 14 inch SCT, and now have camping mat dewshields on all my scopes/finders etc.

They work perfectly, and you can cut them to fit any accessories you may fit to the scope.

They are very light too, which a lot of the commercial ones aren't.

Cheers

Rob

Buy some black card from Staples, I think they come in A3 size and make your own. Lots cheaper than buying one! I made one from black card for my ETX105. It will slide down the tube when the scope is over head but this problem can be sorted out with an rubber band.

Peter:hello2:

Like everyone says go for making your own first before you fork out on £20.

I made one from a camping mat that cost £4, also had enough left over to make a "travel/storage" bag for my scope, just lined a cricket "kit bag" i bought of ebay for £6, these bags are 1 metre long so my 130P fits in a treat, just right for in the car. :o

post-20982-133877489272_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877489276_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877489281_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877489285_thumb.jpg

Just checking around for camping mats and they're super cheap. But I noticed the aluminum ones (also in above pic) and it looks identical to a spare windscreen sun blocker I have (padded etc). Has anyone tried these? Free is better than £5 still :o

get a camping mat as dark as you can, not the aluminium ones if its shiny it will degrade the image cos of all the reflection bouncing around. the shield should protrude from the scope 1.5- 2x the length of the apparture.

i really should think before I post, I have never had a reflector but, I am given to understand that its the secondary that usually mists on those because they are further up the tube, most people put their shield around the secondary and over the apparture. But I have seen some who do the primary miror as well.

Thanks Rowan, I understand the process of the dew but seeing it done both ways on the reflectors had me a little puzzled.

I guess the primary could be ok as its likely got warmth from the light. So the secondary makes sense.

I'll give what I have a go if trouble occurs and if it doesn't work I'll use the mats :o

Even with the best dew shield, eventually, given heavy enough dew and long enough, dew will form.

In practice though, a decently made shield will keep the dew off for a long time.

With a reflector, if it has a solid tube then you only need a dew shield at the secondary end as the tube itself acts as the shield. With a truss tube, a dewshield around the primary is a good idea.

One thing to be aware of is that a dewshield also acts as a sail and will catch the wind nicely and cause your scope to move...not much of a problem if you're a visual observer but a right pain for imagers.

Most of the time though, if you have a windy night you generally don't get dew, although down by the coast where I am this isn't always the case.

Cheers

Rob

Archived