Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Updating to Windows 7 - Any hints or pitfalls that I need to know?

Bizibilder

I've done a couple of computers with WIN7 now and it has been a painless process. No real problems at all, if your doing a laptop just make sure you have mains power as it could run a battery out.

When your done your old installation if Windows will be in a folder on the C drive, I think its called Windowsold or something like that, but it will give you access to any files that you might not have backed up.

the only thing i will say is that if you have older software to use it may not like 64 bit version so if you have, install 32bit and you can run more software in compatability mode ,

of course you need a 64 bit processor to run 64 bit version so if your processor is 32bit you'll have no choice anyway, i have win 7 64bit for a year now and some older free astro software won't run properly , sorry if i am rambling on!!

I'd do a new clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 rather than an upgrade. It's quicker and cleaner (and the only way to get 64-bit Windows 7 if you had 32-bit Windows Vista)

Install Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC if you need to run older sfotware that won't work in Windows 7 (though there's not much) or needs 32-bit. That might even work for the SPC880 conversion.

I've done 6 or 7 upgrades from Vista and aside the odd driver problem with some older boxes everything has gone very well. Probably the best upgrade process MS has ever done.

R.

Ps. My main went from using 2.6MB post boot under Vista to 1.2MB under 7.

XP pre SP1 could only address 2GB of RAM, after, a 32bit machine was capable of 4gb, but it will only show 3.5gb.

Win vista & 7 x86 machines can address 4gb and it shows 4gb. In order to go higher than 4gb, you need a 64bit machine. Its to do with the bit streams they can take.

Upgrade from vista to win 7 is easy, its a nicer os than vista as well.

Archived