150mm or 200mm apeture?!

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me from earlier this year - unfortunately, the funds for my scope were suddenly unavailable so I vanished from the forum to save myself the jealously!

Anyhow, I am now looking at purchase my first scope at the end of November so am back scouting around. Probably the best thing about having a smaller budget, is that the options don't seem to change that much. I am looking at an absolute top budget of £300, and this will have to include all or no accessories.

Having revisited the options and considering the fact that 95% of my viewing will be taking place in either my front or back garden, I think that a SW Skyliner Dob is the best answer and will provide me with the biggest bang-per-buck. However, is it worth blowing almost the whole budget on the 200mm or should I go for the 150mm and arm myself with a few accessories - perhaps a Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece, a Rigel Finder, a light pollution filter and a decent second-hand eyepiece or two?

In terms of what I want to observe, as a newbie the planets and moon hold a lot of interest and I am sure that both scopes will allow me to view and enjoy those bodies. I don't know about DSO's as yet, but why wouldn't I want to look at these too? Appreciate that the 200mm will give me much more freedom on this front. I think I need compromise - perhaps a 175mm or, failing that, a few opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Lazzy

EDIT - Think I meant aperture!

You don't have to buy everything at once! I would suggest the larger Dob (200mm) so you have the greater aparture. It will be useable for both Moon / Planets and DSO's. As time passes you can learn how to get the most out of the equipment and slowly build up any accessories that you need, knowing that what you buy will enhance your viewing.

I'd go for the large dob as well and bide your time to get some better eyepieces.

A Cheshire is nice but if push comes to shove you can make a collimation cap and get decent collimation from that.

If you shopped around you may get a decent 2nd hand scope and an owner might throw in a few bits.

Hi Lazzy, If you can afford it, I'd get the 200mm if poss.

I wouldn't rush to get a LP filter, cheshire or rigel myself, I think I would

put the money into the scope first, perhaps a s/h eyepiece or two.

Personaly, I would get those other accesories later, if necessary.

A cheaper red dot finder would get the job done, for less cash, you can

get by with a home made "collicap" and a decent LP filter would soak up

too much money I think, if you are on a budget.

HTH, Ed.

Edit - oops, we were all typing at once !

Like Brantuk says "aperture is king"

If you got the 150mm you would just keep thinking wish i had got the 200mm :)

Get the SW 200p Dob it has 2 eyepieces 25mm and a 10mm. Its an awesome bit of kit.

You will have plenty of time once you get it to decide what other bits and bobs you need.

Clear Skies

Wakey

Both are great and have their strengths.. I have both and find some nights its better to use the 150P over the 200P.. The 200P is of course king because its bigger. However the 150P is a super scope to learn the sky!.

I'd also go with the 200p for the same reasons as above and to add, a search of the forum concerning eyepiece choice will reveal a mind boggling amount of options, which isn't helped if you lack the observing experience to make a choice. The same threads will probably comment on the performance of the supplied 10mm and 25mm skywatcher ep's. Despite what you may read they are absolutely fine for a novice's first scope and will give you plenty of good views, that is not to say you will be satisfied with them forever, but they are good for the forseeable future and as your budget allows and experience grows, you can replace/augment as necessary.

Rigel finders are nice but the supplied finder is also fine, just different.

As for collimation, do a search on the forum or on the web for a homemade collimation cap. It's a 35mm film (remember that) with a 2mm hole drilled in it.

Bottom line: get the biggest dob and enjoy.

Thanks guys - I was a little apprehensive when seeing other people's posts littered with "you will want to pick up XX eyepiece" or "you need an XX or YY finder", but good to hear that they basics that come with the scope are suitable when starting out.

I can already see that this will be a slightly obsessive and expensive hobby.....why couldn't I get into origami?!

Archived