Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing from Gran Canaria

cathalferris

We flew out to Gran Canaria over the weekend, to escape from the rain and the generally poor weather conditions that we've been experiencing in Ireland over the past few months.

I packed the 15x70 binoculars and the cheap tripd, and it's been really interesting to look out from the balcony once the hotel and resort lights get turned off past about 11pm (Amadores beach in Puerto Rico).

Venus is still very visible after sunset, bright and high. I've got my first views of M6 and M7, spectacular in the binos. I got really good views of M8 and I spent 2 hours with the star atlas cruising down the milky way identifying all of the little and not-so-little clusters and faint patches of nebulae on the way from Scutum down past the tail of the Scorpion. M8 was easily naked-eye visible as were M6/M7, I could just about see the Helix in the binos, and it was pretty interesting to see all of the various shapes and sizes of the globular clusters around Saggitarius.

I did get herself to take a look through at some of the highlights, she does think that it's pretty but she doesn't really get why I would sit and look at the same thing for 20 mins at a time. There is hope there yet as she was really interesting when looking at Saturn and Jupiter recently, but I couldn't bring a scope with me this time...

I woke up at about 6 this morning, looked out on the balcony, and could see Orion high up, and Sirius, and could just see Achernar. It's good to see the old winter friends without the winter weather!

Taking the binoculars on holiday really makes it interesting, especially when further south than most of Europe.

Does anyone else make sure to bring a scope or pair of binoculars on a sun holiday? Do they get any grief from the significant other? :blob10:

Interested report and it does make you think that Gran Canaria is a great place to visit to see some of the lower Messier objects.

I have been to Puerto Rico many times and never took binos, so next time I should follow your example.

Cathalferris if you are still in G C it will be interesting to know how low in Dec you can view and still get a clear view. I was thinking about viewing Omega Centauri in the future although its best in March/April

Mark

Omega Centauri peaks at around 6º above the horizon, from Algarve in southern Portugal (37ºN) and when the sky is clear you can make out the stars almost right to the ocean. So it's visible with binos or, if are lucky, with the unaided eye (not so sure you can see it so low with naked eye...).

From Canary islands, should be easier because it's further south.

I always made a point of taking a scope on holiday, the largest being a home made flat pack 8" F/6 dob to Sri Lanka. My better half was very understanding and I think on the quiet was pleased her husbands "eccentric hobby" generated so much positive interest from staff and guests at the various hotels etc over the years.

We have just returned from Plakias on the south coast of Crete (35 N) with fairly dark skies.

The Milky Way was horizon to horizon with great views of Scorpius and Sagittarius. We only had 10 x 50 bins, but they provided excellent views of M6 and M8.

I'm fortunate in that my other half shares my interest in astronomy, so may be a small 'scope for next year is a possibility :blob10:

Adrian

From what I can gather, Omega Centauri peaks at about 14 degrees above the horizon here, midnight culmination on the 21st of May or therabouts. That's about as high as M41 in Canis Major gets from around home.

From the hotel, I can see probably to about -60 or so, Achernar is 3 degrees above the horizon.

I'd better get off the internet now and back to the holiday :blob10:

I take my decent 10*50 bins that I use for astro matters along with me on holiday. Theyve been a lot of places. Skiathos, Algarve, Menorca, Gran Caneria and La Palma. Its usuually a matter of finding somewhere dark, but its always been worth it.

I'm fortunate in as much as I have an apartment near the sea in Tenerife which I have gradually been stocking up with astro gear. At present the main scope is a Celestron 8SE. Omega Centauri is easily visible to the naked eye at the right time of year and awesome in the scope. As posted, the majority of the lights go off at 11.00 in the Canaries so objects like the Milky Way are visible from urban locations.I have to add that despite some very hot days and plenty of concrete about, surprisingly steady viewing conditions are available soon after sunset. If I can find some local interest and someone with some land I plan to have something significant shipped out in the future.

Archived