First shot of Jupiter

Hi everyone,

I finally got to capture a half reasonable image of Jupiter after a lot of trial and error and with the assistance of the super helpful people on this forum. I honestly can't thank all of you enough for responding to my posts... could not have done it without you!

Looks like I am going to be spending a lot of time tweaking and learning to get the most out of the software from now on. I realize that this is rubbish in comparison to the images some of you guys can do, but you have to start somewhere and I am chuffed to bits.

Thanks again to you all.

2.bmp

Thanks for all the great comments. I used a Phillips SPC900 webcam with no Barlow but I'll try that next time (thanks Space Cowboy) so I have no idea of the mag. I literally just popped the webcam in after centering and focusing with a 6mm.

The SPC900 is a difficult beast to find but I was lucky enough to spot one in the "Managers Bargain" bin at a local PC World for £30.

It's the only time I have seen one in a shop, but I have spotted them on E-Bay a few times.

Wow excellent piccy of Jupiter! I've got a spc900 coming from tophouse who is selling some at the mo :blob10:, cannot wait to give it a try, need to buy the nose and filter first tho, after payday :hello2:, will have to be patient.

I bet it will have alot more detail with a 2x Barlow :)

Congrats

Hi everyone,

I finally got to capture a half reasonable image of Jupiter after a lot of trial and error and with the assistance of the super helpful people on this forum. I honestly can't thank all of you enough for responding to my posts... could not have done it without you!

Looks like I am going to be spending a lot of time tweaking and learning to get the most out of the software from now on. I realize that this is rubbish in comparison to the images some of you guys can do, but you have to start somewhere and I am chuffed to bits.

Thanks again to you all.

That looks beautiful! I only hope when I finally get a scope and progress to putting a camera on it I can get something 1/2 as good as that.

--- Penguin.

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

I am desperate to try it again but using a 2X Barlow. I had a go the other night but after setting up and waiting for Jupiter to clear the Pine trees to the east (about midnight) I just got Jupiter on the laptop screen when it started to fade behind a cloud the size of Texas. I wouldn't have minded if the cloud had been there when I checked 15 minutes before:mad: Was it something I did in a past life?:blob10:

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

I am desperate to try it again but using a 2X Barlow. I had a go the other night but after setting up and waiting for Jupiter to clear the Pine trees to the east (about midnight) I just got Jupiter on the laptop screen when it started to fade behind a cloud the size of Texas. I wouldn't have minded if the cloud had been there when I checked 15 minutes before:mad: Was it something I did in a past life?:blob10:

The amount of cloud is directly proportional to the number of interesting things in the sky, and inversely proportional to the time since you bought the last piece of kit:clouds2:

Cloud also appears whenever you have just finished up setting up and cooling down your scope:(

Related to Murphy's (or Sod's) Law

Archived